Thread: What is the PCV valve for?

Statue
    Any reason that I shouldn't remove the pcv from my valve cover and replace it with a standard breather?

centerhill condor
    less oily wastes in the atmoshphere will help keep your engine clean.... and your lungs!

502 JET
    The pcv system is for positive crankcase ventilation.When connected you will pull a vaccume in the crankcase and burn off any fumes and keep oil from spewing out your breathers gaskets and seals.I have seen breathers get restricted with oil and not let the engine breathe and the dipstick pops up and oil spews out of it.If you dont like the way the pcv valve looks take a look at this link to Earls Performance Plumbing.http://www.holley.com/search.asp
    Enter pcv in the search on the website.

ROZ
    Where's HOSS when you need him :crossx:

canuck1
    Where's HOSS when you need him :crossx:
    fukk hoss

MACHINEHEAD
    Keep in mind there isnt much vacuum on a jetboat at 4000 rpm. Do you think its really doing very much? Im in favor of the pcv with engines that cruise with 5-7 inches, like a boat with a prop.

MACHINEHEAD
    If it pulls vac. when cruising, run it!

jetboat
    If it pulls vac. when cruising, run it!
    wondered that myself.if it came with it,ther must have been a reason,so like me ,its going back.

Captain Assin' Off
    I run mine. Flat out, there's no vacuum, so in the upper ranges, I have a small amount of blow by. I get 10-12 in.Hg. at cruise, and I run Total Seal Gapless rings, so not much of a problem with a vented puke tank. If you are concerned with excessive crankcase pressure, run a vacuum pump, to evacuate the crankcase. It's worth around 15 H.P. on the Dyno. As your engine wears, and loosens up, the crankcase pressure goes up, causing seals, and gaskets to fail, resulting in the oil control issues earlier posted.

lilrick
    ......leave it on.