Thread: 455 Reliable

1973 Hondo
    Figured out the bottom end on the 455, going with the mandello kit,10 qt pan, main restrictors, hv oil pump, cam bearings and oil pump shaft, anyone thing i should go ahead and do a valve job and anything else besides, rings rods mains gaskets ???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I would do all the bearings and new gaskets to be on the safe side. Why tear it down and do a half ass job so something else can go wrong? I am in the same shoes you are in so please fill me in with the kind of work you are doing so I dont make any mistakes myself. Good luck on the rebuild.
    396--

Olds 403
    Hondo,
    You might want to consider porting the main cap and pump to match(enlarge and smooth), Moneydello makes a small baffle to keep oil from sloshing up back of pan, elongate downward the oil return holes,crossdrill crank, chamfer holes, open big end clearance to .0016, might not hurt to cut oil relief grooves in rod big end parallel to I beam .50 wide and .010-.012 deep sides, watch out that His restrictors dont cover the oil passges, and full length windage tray. Good luck, you'll need it.
    Steve

jetaddict
    I've got a moneydello built 455 and his stuff inside allows me to run 5500 rpm all weekend long.So it is money well spent for his equipment.Anything fun is never cheap.Boats,Wife,Kids,

cyclone
    you have to tear the motor down to drill the holes for the oil restrictors so you might as well replace everthing in the bottom end while you're into the motor. cheap insurance.

Wet Dream
    You have all winter to think this out, but you will have to tear down the engine to tap the restrictors. I don't know how far you want to take this engine, financially it can drain you.
    Some things I would look at adding...
    go .060 over on the bore, mondello even has zero gap rings available
    new forged pistons, raise the comp a little
    get the rotating assembly balanced
    use arp bolts on the bottoms
    You will be surprised at what this will do.