Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another trailer tire question

4day!!
    so i completetly threw the tread off on a trailer tire last week. The tires are about 3 years old and have maybe 1,300 miles on them. The guy at the tire store said it looked like a defective tire was to blame. He also said regardless of miles on them that they should all be replaced every 3-5 years, just beacuase of the weight and heat they are exposed to. They were goodyears on a zeiman trailer w/a 25' Advantage. Tire pressure was good on all. He put a Greenball on which is now my spare
    Questions:
    How often should they be replaced?
    whats the most reliable brand?
    what are the pros and cons of radial vs. bias?

BoatPI
    Call Zieman and gripe they could all be a recall item?

Outnumbered
    I hear Towmasters are the shit. I just got some and hopefully they will last.

Nord
    Trailer tires can be a real biatch!!!
    Make sure they are rated for towing........a lot of trailer companies will put low profile tires on for looks, appeal, etc. However if they aren't rated for towing, they come uncapped like a refurbed tire for a semi.......
    I say, replace them all every 2 - 3 years and save the headache..
    The problem is when they sit in one spot for soo long (off season) it really has a bad long term effect on the tire.

Flying Tiger
    My Extreme Trailer owners pamphlet said replace them every 2 years, and keep them at 50 PSI or they will die on the road, and they were right.
    Americas is the only chain that offers a replacement warranty, and at a reasonable price.
    Carlisle is a div. of Good Year according to their website.
    Proper psi is essential.

Outnumbered
    Americas/Discount can order Towmasters and give you the warranty too. I just got some for $50 each plus M/B & RH. Screw Carlisles!

4day!!
    Thanks guys. The trailer came with 205/75/14 goodyears. Any opinions on radial vs. bias?

4day!!
    I hear Towmasters are the shit. I just got some and hopefully they will last.
    i looked up towmaster on tires.com they are made by Greenball correct. There is a Greenball Towmaster on their site.

Outnumbered
    i looked up towmaster on tires.com they are made by Greenball correct. There is a Greenball Towmaster on their site.
    Yes, Greenball. I was told that the Towmaster V is the ticket. So far so good for me but I only have two trips on them.

3 daytona`s
    I`ll never forget what a wise old man told me years ago,you $20,000.00 boat (at that time) and you are going to pull it on a 50 cent trailer with bad tires. I did not listen to him and several bearing failures and tires blowing sitting by the road after stressful week I decided would never at any cost happen again.The spare even if not used after a few years is not good,just the way it is any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast