Thread: Why would the cam be forced forward?

Hollis
    I am currently having my 460 rebuilt and the mechanic said the cam had been forced forward during usage. What would cause this..? Force from the Berkley jet drive impeller? Bad installation?A worn baring? Maybe I misunderstood him. Deos any one have an oppinion?

wfodude
    lifter bores not perfectly aligned from the factory will cause forward cam walk.Usually not a problem with a hydraulic cam but becomes critical with a big roller and gazonga valve springs

HOSS
    How far forward? My lifters do ride towards the rear of the lobes. Usage would probably make it move forward but change your oil and wear should be minimized. Other than that ask 77charger what happenned to me and that causes the cam to move forward.

Hal
    Its the force of driving the dist. gear and oil pump that makes that happen. That why they make cam buttons.
    [ June 20, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Blown 472
    The only reason it would come forward if the bolts for the retaining plate are loose or the plate is not installed, when the cam gear goes on there is a little bit of clearance between it and the plate which in turn sets the postion of the cam front to back in the motor.

Hal
    Sorry about the bad info I gave you. I was thinking Chevy, They dont have a cam plate. I guess the the dist. gear pulls the cam back in a chevy motor anyway. frown
    [ June 21, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

HOSS
    There is a cam thrust bearing Summit sold for Fords. It would fit behind the thrust plate. The thrust plate is 2 halves. They will intall both ways but the side with the groove goes towards camshaft.