Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LCD TV Question

Powerquestboy
    I'm looking for an LCD TV for the wall in my pool room something around 20 inch's is all I really want. I know nothing about TV's. THere is a 20 inch Phillips at Sams Club for $419. Not HD but it says its "enhanced definition". I hear cox will be all in HD in a few years so am I stupid to buy something thats not HD? Is this TV a good deal? Or am I better off spending a little more money and getting an LG, Sony or something else thats HD ready?
    Thanks

Wally_Gator
    Others who may know more than I can chime in here...
    EDTV is a TV with less resolution than a true HDTV and they down convert the
    HD signal to work on the lower resolution.
    If you want a HD set... You should consider...
    1. There are many out there that support many different resolutions...
    They are measured by the number of horizontal lines. Current NTSC (regular TV's) are 480i. Then we can talk about interlaced or progressive.
    720p 1080i and 1080p.
    The holy grail right now is 1080p...
    Yet a good DVD only supports 480p at this time. The new Blue-ray or HD-DVD's
    will only support the 720p as it's highest (currently).
    Some broadcasters are transmitting at 1080i....
    So in short. Get a true HDTV that supports 1080i...
    I hope this helps..

Flashover
    I agree with Wally here, Spend a little more now for a true HD TV so you dont end up buying another one down the road to replace it. You should still be able to find one for a decent price.. :crossx: Also find a mounting bracket that will sit flush but still allow you to swing it out and move around, Those are great. :crossx:

ROZ
    Others who may know more than I can chime in here...
    EDTV is a TV with less resolution than a true HDTV and they down convert the
    HD signal to work on the lower resolution.
    If you want a HD set... You should consider...
    1. There are many out there that support many different resolutions...
    They are measured by the number of horizontal lines. Current NTSC (regular TV's) are 480i. Then we can talk about interlaced or progressive.
    720p 1080i and 1080p.
    The holy grail right now is 1080p...
    Yet a good DVD only supports 480p at this time. The new Blue-ray or HD-DVD's
    will only support the 720p as it's highest (currently).
    Some broadcasters are transmitting at 1080i....
    So in short. Get a true HDTV that supports 1080i...
    I hope this helps..
    There are also dvd players that upgrade signal to 720p, but the stepup is only as good as it's processor...
    Rumor has it that Pioneer is working in Ultraviolet vs Blue laser ... where will is end?!? Since it's all about storage, I guess a taradvd isn't far off!

faster
    I just installed a 1080P about a month ago, Awesome TV, My only complaint would be the Aethetics of the Cabinet.

Boa1277
    Hey Wal Mart has 20 inch HD Samsung LCD for under 500 bucks my friend just bought one and put it over his bar, nice little set and has a great picture. Good Luck.

little rowe boat
    Why not just go Plasma???

Boa1277
    I saw a 42 inch HD plasma at Cosco it was called Maxent and it also had a really nice picture, it was right next to the Pioneer and I couldnt tell the difference. The best part was it was only 1469.00 thats cheap for a hd plasma.

HOOTER SLED-
    EDTV=29' V with a 4.3L
    Great analogy. That really puts it in perspective there.

HOOTER SLED-
    I saw a 42 inch HD plasma at Cosco it was called Maxent and it also had a really nice picture, it was right next to the Pioneer and I couldnt tell the difference. The best part was it was only 1469.00 thats cheap for a hd plasma.
    Plasmas have come way down in price.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast