Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbs to a hat??

Blown 472
    Would there be any gain in performance from doing this on a blown gas deal? also would it be possible to run alky thru the same system without a ton of changes?

blowngas
    It sorta hinges on what you want to do----all out race, or lake use---there is not much ramp on the barrel valve between idle to full open, so not much ease of mid range performance----some guys run big carbs and run just as fast as the boat did with a hat, on gas, and still have good mid range controll and performance----to change to alky would be easy---you would have to change out the barrel (not the complete unit) to an alky one---depending on what pump you have, you probably will have to go to a larger one (since you will need twice the amount of alky than gas)---you will also have to change out the nozzels to a larger ones, sized for alky----and possibly some extra main jets----enderle, hilborn, watermann, kinsler, gorr, or most anyone who sells, or flows injectors can set you up with the correct setup, depending on size of the motor

born2burn
    Blown, I did just that last summer. Went from Dominators to a bird. Cooked up an electric prime system for starting and fed the engine driven (FI) pump from a 3.5 gallon tank. That I fed from the side tanks via an Aeromotive pump on each side.
    The motor does use considerably more fuel than it did with carbs BUT it hits about twice as hard on the acceleration.
    I'll see if I can find some pics.
    Rio
    Pics would be great Rio..........thanks in advance.

Fiat48
    Blown, I did just that last summer. Went from Dominators to a bird. Cooked up an electric prime system for starting and fed the engine driven (FI) pump from a 3.5 gallon tank. That I fed from the side tanks via an Aeromotive pump on each side.
    The motor does use considerably more fuel than it did with carbs BUT it hits about twice as hard on the acceleration.
    I'll see if I can find some pics.
    Rio
    Did you just leave the compression (I assume about 8.1) alone and just do the alcohol?

Blown 472
    The tank with the float bowls on it is for what? do you bypass back into it from the hat? does it go to the belt driven pump?? I am thinking about doing this on my car. Would a fuel cell in the trunk that is plumbed to a tank up front which feeds the belt driven pump for the fi work?

revndave
    I've been talking to Ralph Gorr about the power gains.He said a birdcatcher is about 150 hp more than 2 Dominators.I said why and he said 2100cfm and 7psi fuel pressure vs 3000cfm and 150 psi of fuel pressure.Simple more air and fuel.My motor went from 1102hp at 7,000 to 986 at 7,000.So that means my boat will have a hat back on it for 2006.

Fiat48
    Blown, he is just keeping the tank full with the holley float bowls from his side (I presume) tanks because with alcohol that little tank would empty pretty quick. I'm sure he'll explain more in detail.
    Riodog, I have run 7.5 before on alcohol and it does indeed work. Lotta folks think you have to have high compression on alcohol but you don't. It does like it but you don't have to have it. Nor do you have to have specific alcohol camshafts or wide lobe spacing. You do get a little more oil dilution with the lower compression tho.

Fiat48
    The tank with the float bowls on it is for what? do you bypass back into it from the hat? does it go to the belt driven pump?? I am thinking about doing this on my car. Would a fuel cell in the trunk that is plumbed to a tank up front which feeds the belt driven pump for the fi work?
    If you mount the injector pump low in the engine compartment and drive with a belt drive you can run the fuel cell in the trunk. Trick is to try to mount that tank as high as you can so the fuel has some head. But you have to keep that fuel line big....like #16 an. Big fitting id's and no 90's if you can help it.
    You'll need to rig up a primer system because the long fuel line to the tank will aggravate starting. And you will have to stay on the primer button longer till she picks up the fuel.
    Those systems work best with fuel returning to the inlet side of the pump. We do that on these monster truck deals. Good Vibrations has the special fittings needed and somewhere here on the forums I saw somebody running one. I'll try to post that picture if I can find it.
    Use an 80a pump. No high speed and single pill setup. It will work better for what you are doing.
    Also when you shut the thing off after a run....kill it with the mag as you pull the fuel shutoff and leave the shutoff closed. That helps keep fuel at the pump for the next start.
    In all...it will work fine. You'll just have to get used to keeping it running with the primer till she gets the fuel. The higher you get the fuel tank, the shorter the fuel line...the better off you will be on starting.
    Return fuel fittings to inlet side of the pump can be found here: http://www.goodvibesracing.com/Pump%...20Fittings.htm
    Your tune up may call for a larger than "normal" return pill due to a little resistance in fuel flow by returning to the inlet side.

Fiat48
    I guess I oughta read a little closer. LOL. Oh well....now you know you can convert over to the clear stuff.

Blown 472
    Thanks for the info, I am thinking of running gas thru a hat and then on the weekends puttting alky in it and trailering it to the drags to race then back to gas.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast