Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convert from 455 to 460

I just bought a 73 Kona Makia 18Ft. with a blown 455 Olds in it. It comes with a junkyard 455 to rebuild if I have to go that route, but I may try to find out whats wrong with the motor already in it. Supposedly has a cracked block with water in the oil..
    Im a Ford guy and wanted to know how much work it would take to convert this boat to a 460. This is my first boat so exactly what parts would I be looking at getting?

Squirtin Thunder
    I just bought a 73 Kona Makia 18Ft. with a blown 455 Olds in it. It comes with a junkyard 455 to rebuild if I have to go that route, but I may try to find out whats wrong with the motor already in it. Supposedly has a cracked block with water in the oil..
    Im a Ford guy and wanted to know how much work it would take to convert this boat to a 460. This is my first boat so exactly what parts would I be looking at getting?
    Please put up some pics, it will help in idenifying the parts you will need.

RICHARD TILL
    A 455 OLDS IS NOT A BAD MOTOR. if you fix it, you might not be a ford man anymore. a 455 with a good hyd. cam. aluminum intake and holley carb will run right beside a 454 chevy with the same. probably a ford too. it just costs more from there on.

Hipshot
    The bad thing about the Olds motor is that you really don't want to run it hard for a long time. I agree that they can be built to run hard but there are some oiling issues and a few other things that need to be addressed to make one live at sustained high RPM like a jetboat motor so often sees. If it was mine I would definitely build a Ford or Chevy motor for it and put the blower from the Olds on the new motor. It shouldn't cost all that much to switch over if you just look for good used parts. Does this boat have a rail kit or does it have the three point mounting system? What pump is in this boat? Is it an insert style pump?

Rampager
    You will basically need motor mounts, water pump blockoff plate, thermostat housing and of course some form of marine exhaust be it wet manifolds or headers etc.
    I just sold my log manifolds for the 460 but I do have front and rear motor plates still if you're interested PM me about those. The waterpump blockoffplate could be made very easily.
    Good luck, 460 is a great jetboat motor
    Cheers

atxwrangler
    go with the ferd, you won't be dissappointed! :crossx:

Sleek-Jet
    You will basically need motor mounts, water pump blockoff plate, thermostat housing and of course some form of marine exhaust be it wet manifolds or headers etc.
    I just sold my log manifolds for the 460 but I do have front and rear motor plates still if you're interested PM me about those. The waterpump blockoffplate could be made very easily.
    Good luck, 460 is a great jetboat motor
    Cheers
    And an H-bar as well (the universal joint that couples the engine to the jet).
    That blower set-up for an Olds will probably bring a nice chunk of change if it's in decent shape. You don't see those very often.
    Also, water in the oil doesn't mean a cracked block. Olds will tend to blow intake gaskets if the water pressure gets high enough, instant milk shake.

BBTAHITI
    And an H-bar as well (the universal joint that couples the engine to the jet).
    That blower set-up for an Olds will probably bring a nice chunk of change if it's in decent shape. You don't see those very often.
    Also, water in the oil doesn't mean a cracked block. Olds will tend to blow intake gaskets if the water pressure gets high enough, instant milk shake.
    I took it to mean blown UP 455.

Sleek-Jet
    I took it to mean blown UP 455.
    Ahhh yes... I believe you're correct...

Sorrry! I had no idea you would interpret blown for supercharged! no, this is my first boat, i mean blown up! I havent got any pictures yet so check the auction. It will be here Sat.
    Heres the link: I hope this was a good deal.
    Ebay:Koni 18Ft jetboat (http://cgi.ebay.ca/1973-455-KONA-MAK...0653QQcmdZView Item )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast