Thread: Tuning question?

jkh04200
    Hey its for the kids?
    I'm trying to tune-up a go-cart I bought for the little ones for Christmas. It's got a 10 hp Tecumseh engine. It's running very rich and has a terrible bog. I tried to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw, no luck. The mixture screw is all the way in and backing it out 1/4 turn kills the motor. I'm thinking I need to go through the carb. Any ideas. Thanks.

jmherbert
    Check the float level and needle and seat. Depending on the carb that is on it, it may have two fuel circuits, main and idle. Run it without the air cleaner to see if the choke butterfly isn't working right.

Moneypitt
    Are you sure the idle mixture screw isn't an idle speed screw? And yes the carbs do get clogged easily and refuse to flow correctly. I'm speaking from dirty lawnmower conditions, so I may be way off here...........MP

jkh04200
    No, its not the idle speed scew its the air/mixture screw. It actually had a plastic cap over it. The thing is very cold natured. Which is a sign of a lean condition. But I smell gas when its running. And you've got to feather the gas. But, the thing hauls a**. Gonna put a restricter on the throttle for the kids.