Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Skater Vs Spectre Vs DCB Vs Charley

motion
    Excellent information Andy, no one boat does it all, no matter what you pay. better get two, and a pontoon.

TCHB
    You bring up some good points on both boats. It sounds like a jack plate set back would help both boats or any outboard set up??

spectras only
    Were doing 94.5 in 2-3 foot chop here overtaking a 35 Fountain . Handled it pretty good .30 Spectre with 300's .Top speed was 107 so far .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Mvi_1149.avi
    Boat is almost boring in flat water :sleeping:

ROZ
    Best lake Havasu hot rod cat, 29 DCB single 1600hp Brummett turbo motor, 1550 Hubber, hook to a 6 drive. One of you ballers need to build that thing.
    That's what they say

Charley
    The 30' Spectre, 28' Skater and 30' AMT all do a pretty good job for what they are, no question about that. Each have something better than the other.... AMT is the prettiest of the 3, Skater is the fastest of the 3, Spectre is the best value of the 3 and argueably the best rough water boat of the 3.... If it were me wanting to build a whacker boat for myself and I was on a skater budget I wouldn't think twice about spending the extra bucks to have the new Doug Wright 32 w/300x's....110-115mph, gorgeous, big water boat and ABSOLUTELY BADASS!!!!

TCHB
    Ok now how would a 29 DCB fit into the mix??

Charley
    Honesty it's kind of a different animal. It has a lot more room inside, including alot of storage under the bow that can easily be turned into a queen sized bed. I has alot of Bling that the others don't, if that stuff matters to you. It has absolutely no porpoise and since it's has an elevated center Pod it turns very well, and most importantly, especially at higher speeds. I think it is more of an inboard boat than the other 3, In fact the 30' AMT and the 28 Skater wont accomodate inboards to the best of my knowledge. The 30' spectre with inboards works but you will have a sizeable porpoise window. If you mainly boat on Havasu, like to hang out on the boat, eat, party whatever, IMHO it will be all around the best choice of the 4. The 29 will run 110-115 mph with 525's, 120-125 mph with Vipers and 135-140 mph with 800's all with absolutely no porpoise. Since it is the only boat of the 4 with a center pod it will not handle as big of water as the other 3, but will certainly handle what Havasu can dish out on any given day at a pretty good pace. The base model with (2) 496 HO's starts around 180k and will run 100mph+ and comes very well equipped, even stock. I know a few 1 year old 525 boats have sold in that range too.... just something to consider.....good luck

Havasu Cig
    I believe there was one 28 Skater built with an inboard, and the fastest one that I have heard of with O/B power actually has a cabin and is running in the 126+ range. My skater has alot of storage in the gunwales unlike the west coast boats I have had but access under the deck is limited because in stock configuration it has foot rest built into the inner liner.
    It does have alot of space under the deck though once you get under there. The AMT that Tony rigged they actually cut out the area on the inner liner where the foot rest were and came out with alot of area under the deck. I know Skater will do whatever you want even though Peter will recommend not doing a cabin ect...
    It all depends on what you want. I wanted something that was fast and fun to drive and I believe the Skater is the best boat for me. If i wanted something to hang out on 90% of the day I would take my pontoon boat all day long or a deck boat.

andy01
    Good post Andy, you should really think about putting some jack plates on your 30 if the motors are on the transom now. Not only did I pick up speed but the boat rides very level now, and I never need to use tab anymore. I would think they would have a similar effect on your hull??
    If you look at the video I posted a couple of weeks ago and compare it to other videos of 28's running without jack plates you can see mine is very level while the others are very bow high. You can feel the difference in the boat as well...
    Now back to the topic at hand.
    I have jack plates and have only moved the motors up once. The problem is half the time in the ocean you are flying anyway. You know that, but I would like to get them up a bit higher and think I can without changing my pick ups. Sooner or later it is going to GT before season starts. I am going to have him check out the prop shaft to the bottom of the boat and do a full detail. I would like to get a little more speed out of it for that once or twice a year river trip.
    I watched your video (like 8 times) and thought "man I need to take my boat to the river again". Mine won't run 117 but hell if I could run 80 for more then 200 feet I would be happy. You know on the right days you can get a nice 10 mile or so run right around 80 in my boat, but more days then not you can only run 80 or faster for very short spurts before you are off the sticks and on the next big roller.
    Andy

andy01
    I believe there was one 28 Skater built with an inboard, and the fastest one that I have heard of with O/B power actually has a cabin and is running in the 126+ range. My skater has alot of storage in the gunwales unlike the west coast boats I have had but access under the deck is limited because in stock configuration it has foot rest built into the inner liner.
    It does have alot of space under the deck though once you get under there. The AMT that Tony rigged they actually cut out the area on the inner liner where the foot rest were and came out with alot of area under the deck. I know Skater will do whatever you want even though Peter will recommend not doing a cabin ect...
    It all depends on what you want. I wanted something that was fast and fun to drive and I believe the Skater is the best boat for me. If i wanted something to hang out on 90% of the day I would take my pontoon boat all day long or a deck boat.
    Very true, Skater will build a 28 with a cabin. I don't know where I read it or heard it but I heard of one that was built. Under the deck in my 30' is huge. I could almost stand up under the deck, I was really surprised. Yes it took me 10 minutes to work my way under there but once I was there I was surprised at how much room there was. Plus it was hotter then hell under there with no real opening and that was home. I wouldn't want a cabin either but for some people it is a must have. Like if your kid makes a mess of himself at the sandbar momma can take him down to the cabin and clean him up....... That was Parker I believe......... ah Charley.... :rollside: If I had a kid, by the end of the weekend his ass would be burned from being changed in the sun all weekend.........
    Andy

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast