Thread: Gale banks marine twin turbo set up... Advice needed

Gale banks marine twin turbo set up... Advice needed

Hi, I have recently purchased a secondhand Banks kit off ebay to put on an engine for my 17ft jet boat.The guy I bought it off didn't know much about it and having emailed Bankspower many times to get the run around from them.They can't supply me any info which is crazy.
    This is a 1980s kit designed I believe for mercruiser smallblock chevs,I guess the 350.It has no intercooler, no wastegates. it does have a water injection system setup supplied.
    Is there anybody out there that has had experience with this setup? What boost did it run, what torque/horsepower gains were achieved,did it run on pump gas, was it a successful setup etc etc.
    I intend putting this setup on a 408 (4' bore,4' stroke) s/b chev with a turbo cam,8.5 to 1,good mallory ignition.Any suggestions to make a good strong turbo engine.
    Can anyone suggest a knowledgable marine turbo guru who can tolerate a novice asking questions?
    Thanks Jellybean

It's for a bbc

Hello. I have one of the same setups. Never installed it. They are for a BBC 454 standard block (or any BBC standard block). [/B][/B]. Very simplistic. Add an 850 to 920 holly and you're on your way. You may want to have the turbos rebuilt. They don't make a lot of power, but will add about 125 horsepower. You may want to add water injection to avoid denotation issues. There is no intercooler and they are draw thru setups. Again, very simplistic.

Correction... I suppose one also may have been made for an SBC. Just compare the exhaust manifold and see which size head one fits.

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
    Hi, I have recently purchased a secondhand Banks exhaust kit off ebay to put on an engine for my 17ft jet boat.The guy I bought it off didn't know much about it and having emailed Bankspower many times to get the run around from them.They can't supply me any info which is crazy.
    This is a 1980s kit designed I believe for mercruiser smallblock chevs,I guess the 350.It has no intercooler, no wastegates. it does have a water injection system setup supplied.
    Is there anybody out there that has had experience with this setup? What boost did it run, what torque/horsepower gains were achieved,did it run on pump gas, was it a successful setup etc etc.
    I intend putting this setup on a 408 (4' bore,4' stroke) s/b chev with a turbo cam,8.5 to 1,good mallory ignition.Any suggestions to make a good strong turbo engine.
    Can anyone suggest a knowledgable marine turbo guru who can tolerate a novice asking questions?
    Thanks Jellybean
    Hello. Can you post some photos of your Banks kit off ebay? I can help you if you post some photos of it.
    Last edited by makindue; 10-25-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
    Hi, I have recently purchased a secondhand Banks kit off ebay to put on an engine for my 17ft jet boat.The guy I bought it off didn't know much about it and having emailed Bankspower many times to get the run around from them.They can't supply me any info which is crazy.
    Thanks Jellybean
    I have two of these set ups on my boat, they are fitted on mercruiser (small block 350 chevy 5.7) engines. Carbs are holley 4150 and the kit adds 125bhp(so i was told)so from 260 to 385bhp. boost from the turbos feed into the float bowl to increase fuel when on boost. and also there is a solonoid set up that switches between boost and vacuum to the distributor to advance and retart the timing.. The water injection (I use alcohol) is also very simple and the tank is pressurised by the turbo boost and when boost hits a certain pressure then a solonoid is triggered and injects the alcohol...I have a newer boat now so haven't been out in this one in a long time and can't remember what boost they ran but I think only about 10psi...its a very old set up, my ignition is an old "Stinger I" Again a very old system but it still managed to push my old 26 foot 1980 nova to 87.5 mph..
    I stumbled accross this forum as I am now looking to revive the old boat and am looking to replace the 4 turbo's (corrosion seized) so if anyone knows who can offer a direct replacement then please PLEASE let me know..

If I can help you with anything else let me know, I'll be removing the rebuild them in the next few days so if you want I can let you know what jet sizes etc are in there..

Scarab....

Xpertz Solution Ltd is a leading educational services organization providing a new generation of counseling and placement services to international students from all around the world.Xpertz Solution is an International Education consulting organization with excellent credentials that provides value-based services to both International Institutes and aspiring students worldwide.