Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do youfix eyelt on bow of boat for trailoring and towing?

kcsteck
    You now the eylet on front of boat that holds boat to trailor. I broke that off today while trailoring? How do you repair it. I think under bow is solid foam?Any advice? 76 Tahiti jet boat.
    Casey

On my old 73 Tahiti, the foam under the deck was one large molded piece that was removable after pulling out the fuel tank. Slipped it out, made repairs to my bow eyelet and slipped it right back in. Compared to some of the stuff I've seen(like garbage bags full of packing peanuts) it was a pretty neat idea.

Blown Away
    Just get in and do it.

kcsteck
    mine dont have gas tank up there ther in back on sides. Looks like wood wall that has been glased in then foam behind it.
    you think I need to cut the wood wall out then maybe the foam is one piece and will slide out. Then fix hook and putt all back reglas wood wall etc?
    Casey

RandyH
    I think I would weld together what you have left until winter tear down. Good Luck.
    RandyH

cave
    Looks like you may just get by with a welder. Know anyone who welds stainless?

rerfert
    Thatsucks
    How do you manage to break a stainless hook?
    Blame it on the previous owner.
    I had a 73 Kona with the foam filled bow and it looked as if the previous owner had cut down the middle and around the edges to make it removable...My front hook was also loose (for some reason I like to fix everything)so I slid the 2 halfs of foam out,snuged the hook...replaced the foam and added some spray foam around the edges to keep it from bouncing around.

I was long gone from Tahiti by '76 so I don't know what kind of foam was being used by then, but it's either long narrow pieces, or one big chunk molded to fit (and I use the term 'fit' loosely) in the bow of the boat. If it was me, I'd leave the bulkhead in place and cut out a crawl hole in the center of it big enough to get your body through. Either way, you'll have to get through the foam. You can cut it pretty easy with just a regular old hand saw. I wouldn't even re-install it, I'd carpet the area under the deck, re-carpet the bulkhead too, and use it for storing skis and other stuff, but that's just me.
    Hey, maybe you'll luck out and find that foam wasn't even installed in the first place. It happened more than you'd think.

kcsteck
    after cutin threw plywood wall. the foam was sprayed in and is a Beotch to get out.this after like 3 hours.kind of wish I went and cut the hole in the deck! But with brand new paintjob prob better I didnt?
    Thanks for all the help Guys.I hope to see the bracket for Bow eye soon. LOL
    Casey
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...k/MVC-012F.jpg
    http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...k/MVC-013F.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast