Thread: Help with outboard water pump (mercury 75hp)

mwyborny
    Hi all, First post here due to problem with mercury outboard. If someone knows of another forum / web site that has better coverage, please let me know.
    Anyway... (this has most likely been discussed before).
    75hp mercury outboard 2 cycle/4 cylinder (84-85 model). I've had the water pump replaced about 5 years ago, and I've used the boat maybe 8 hours since then. Lately, it's sat up not doing anything for 3 years. just collecting leaves. So today, I start her up, sounds great... The ear muffs for the water inlets are there with full water flowing. I notice right away the overspray is reduced as the engine is started, telling me the engine is 'sucking it in'... then when it's gets a good drink, again overspray. I ran it for about 5 minutes, and theres water draining out of the prop, and water dribling out of some slots just above the lower unit, and then some 'sprinkles coming out of the exhaust overflow holes (not sure water you call them), then, the little peehole, not water. The water coming out of the prop and the slots eventually gets luke warm, and stays there, but as I feel around the engine, its lukeware as well, not hot. Should this peehole be letting out water all the time? or just some of the time (perhaps a thermastat type operation).
    Thanks
    Mike, Austin Texas

Havasu47
    The impeller does not like to sit that long. The blades will harden and not work properly. The first thing I would do is replace the impeller.

mwyborny
    Yep... I pulled the impellar (did the repair myself), and now beleive that it might not be a broken impellar (why people tell you to replace it every other year, but apparantly, the plastic starts to conform to the same shape as the housing, so that's not good. I'm guessing that if one were to constantly use the boat, the impellar would stay flexable and would last a lot longer. Anyway... thanks.

mike37
    water needs to come out of the pee hole all the time
    A Friend had a similar problem
    earwigs got in the lines and clogged things up after the boat sat
    they had to use some small wire and air the clean it out