Thread: Bravo One Bolts

ghittner
    I'm changing the two bottom through Bolts (Carriage Type) on my Bravo One Transom mount as they have desintegrated over time and saltwater. My question is, are these some different metal? They are not magnetic and light as a feather. I was going to change them with galvanized but I think they might serve some pupose with the stock material. What are they? Do I need to put the original type back in? Thanks.

502 JET
    The lower bolts I have seen are zinc rust annodes with a large acorn head designed to absorb electrolisis and rust away so the rest of your drive does not.I would replace them with similar materials.Never use any galvinized bolts on your drive only stainless.You may find the proper replacement zinc annodes at the local marine store.If not a Merccruiser dealer.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yes, get some of the originals. I had not considered they would be zincs, but I'd bet on that after 502's post. Which would you rather replace, the bolts every few years, or props &/or eventually the outdrive housing?

ghittner
    Found out they're made of aluminum. Mine's an 89 and they only had the round heads on the outside with no Zinc attachment stud so the bolts gave there lives instead. All the replacements are aluminum as well and have the studs for the zincs on the outside. Got 'em, Thanks.