Thread: Any Glass shop peeps or glass cutters on ***boat?

wsuwrhr
    I just got it "stuck deep and broke off in me" on some bitchen billet "wink" mirrors I am making.
    I need some small mirrors cut to fit in the parts I made.
    I went to a local shop here in San Bernardino that said they could do it. Well they couldn't and didn't. The shit is so far off, I think a blind man cut them.
    I have a bunch of money riding on these parts, and I'm now up against it trying to get these done on time.
    Is it possible to cut glass/mirror with a tolerance of a 1/16 of an inch or less and round the corners to a 1/4 radius or so?
    Didn't seem to hard to me, but I am not a glass cutter.
    Brian

kipperps28
    My shop is next to a glass company, and they have done custom stuff of of paper templates that matched perfectly. Problem is, I'm in Washington. If I can help, let me know. If you're really in a hurry, call my cell 425-765-6758.

wsuwrhr,
    old hot rod/ custom car trick. Tape off the shape you need, several layers of tape to protect the glass you need to save, and take a sand blaster and blast away the glass/mirror you don't need. Works great on glass for chopped tops and other cool car stuff. I would think it would work just as well on mirrors too except for the raw edge that will have to be polished up. Usually that edge is hidden in rubber on a car window.

wsuwrhr
    wsuwrhr,
    old hot rod/ custom car trick. Tape off the shape you need, several layers of tape to protect the glass you need to save, and take a sand blaster and blast away the glass/mirror you don't need. Works great on glass for chopped tops and other cool car stuff. I would think it would work just as well on mirrors too except for the raw edge that will have to be polished up. Usually that edge is hidden in rubber on a car window.
    I am making billet "wink" mirrors. Used to be a '70s car deal. Sandrails and golfcarts are using them now. It is 18 or so inches long, 2 inches tall, and it has three rectangle mirrors placed at an angle to give a panoramic rear veiw.
    Problem is I need 150 pieces of mirror....yesterday. The mirror I had cut is an 1/8 too small all around. Looks like shit, you can see through the gaps. The test pieces they made were alot nicer.
    I am thinking the waterjet is the way to go, I just need to find someone who does it.
    Brian

sorry about that, I didn't understand that you need a bunch of them. I thought it was a one off deal.

wsuwrhr
    sorry about that, I didn't understand that you need a bunch of them. I thought it was a one off deal.
    No big deal. Any help or idea are always appreciated.
    Brian