Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dakar Rally updates!

Boa1277

Squirtin Thunder
    I thought those Hummers were slower then the second comming of christ.
    Anyone have a pic of RG's race rig? To bad he can't drive a TT.
    Dave robbys' Hummer was designed on a TT platform from what I have read and seen.

Boa1277
    It is not a Trophy Truck by any means, a TT has a solid rear axle, and Robbys Hummer is independent rear suspension check out the links above and you can really appreciate what this effort is about. Here is a quote from Robby after this stage, I sure hope his navigator is up to the challenge, I know Robby can drive it.
    ""Gordon wryly admitted, after arriving in Er Rachidia, that he’d made an error at the start, which probably cost them the overall win for the stage. “We made a great run off the line, passing both Jean Louis Schlesser (the eventual winner) and Stephane Peterhansel’s Mitsubishi, but then I looked off to the left and saw one of the BMW X3s fast disappearing in the dust. Knowing how well this team had been doing I instinctively elected to follow and soon realized he was lost. Darren (Skilton), my navigator, had been tracking our line in the heavy dust and soon pointed out that we were seriously off-course; we had to double back and I suspect we lost at least two minutes.” Gordon eventually re-passed both Schlesser and Peterhansel, but his elapsed time for the stage still put the Hummer team in fifth overall 1 minute and 30 seconds behind the leaders. “This is an incredibly large and confusing area of the earth; it’s very easy to trust your racing instinct instead of the route book and your navigator…I won’t make that mistake again,” said Gordon. “The positive point of the lesson was that we were able to catch and repass both Schlesser and Peterhansel; that proved the Hummer’s capabilities for us and gives us tremendous confidence for tomorrow’s start.
    "

Woodster
    His Hummer is based off of a Class1 desert race car.. It has a Corvette LsX engine in it( I think around 450HP?) He was out at Glamis last month testing it getting ready for the Dakar race.. He could win it for sure once he gets out of the Rally type stages and into the more open desert racing

SoCal_fun
    Robby has a problem he always over drives the car. And that is what causes equiptment failure.
    If the equipment can't hold up to Robby's talent, how is that his fault (unless it's one that he built, such as the Hummer). lol!
    The damm FORDs he used to drive in CART were always letting him down, wasn't his fault though! :argue: Same in NASCAR, if he could keep an engine under him (and keep the competition out of his way, LOL!!).
    I wish Robby all the best, he's alot of fun to watch! :boxed:

Squirtin Thunder
    If the equipment can't hold up to Robby's talent, how is that his fault (unless it's one that he built, such as the Hummer). lol!
    The damm FORDs he used to drive in CART were always letting him down, wasn't his fault though! :argue: Same in NASCAR, if he could keep an engine under him (and keep the competition out of his way, LOL!!).
    I wish Robby all the best, he's alot of fun to watch! :boxed:
    I agree the problem is that most all of Robbys' cars have come from his shops, except the few years at RCR.

Squirtin Thunder
    It is not a Trophy Truck by any means, a TT has a solid rear axle, and Robbys Hummer is independent rear suspension check out the links above and you can really appreciate what this effort is about. Here is a quote from Robby after this stage, I sure hope his navigator is up to the challenge, I know Robby can drive it.
    I personally watch the documentry on the build and Robby said it was based one his TTs. I think he is a great racer. I might not like him as a person but I do wish him luck, for the U.S. in this race and yes he has an out of control talent. His co driver is the only way they will win this race. That is my $ .02

Ivan Dan
    I personally watch the documentry on the build and Robby said it was based one his TTs. I think he is a great racer. I might not like him as a person but I do wish him luck, for the U.S. in this race and yes he has an out of control talent. His co driver is the only way they will win this race. That is my $ .02
    RG's Hummer started as a Class 1 buggy he (his shop) built for Cam Theiriot. Cam raced it for a season or so and RG bought it back from him for this project. His co-driver is Darren Skilton who is a very experienced off-road racer himself.

superdave013
    ok, I did a little reading. Robbie ran a VW last year and had the ride again this year. VW has 6 cars with a 100 million $$ budget. (110 mil, now that's just sick) RG turned that ride down to run one of his own rigs.
    Anyone can say what they will but that's just bad a$$ if you ask me. His shop is less then 1 mile from mine. I'll root for the local underdog anytime.
    And they thought they were safe when Lance left the tour.

Ivan Dan
    ok, I did a little reading. Robbie ran a VW last year and had the ride again this year. VW has 6 cars with a 100 million $$ budget. (110 mil, now that's just sick) RG turned that ride down to run one of his own rigs.
    Anyone can say what they will but that's just bad a$$ if you ask me. His shop is less then 1 mile from mine. I'll root for the local underdog anytime.
    And they thought they were safe when Lance left the tour.
    Yes this is correct and actually RG was offered $400k to race the Toureg for VW and he turned it down. He said the VW handled like $hit and wanted to do his own deal. The Hummer he is racing now is basically a class 1 unlimited buggy that is VERY VERY fast. I guarantee the Hummer handles 100 x's better than any of the other cars out there and if it holds together he will win. I too am rooting for RG and would love to see him put together a win for the first US victory in Dakar.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast