Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dakar Rally updates!

coolchange
    I know some guys runnin in this on a SIDECAR! If they finish it will be a first for a sidecar.

coolchange
    Thats funny, RG the under dog.

mbrown2
    I hope RG can hold it together....always good to see the American's stepping up in race owned by the Euros..
    Bitchen Pic..
    http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1...A_DAY_22.1.jpg

Boa1277
    I personally watch the documentry on the build and Robby said it was based one his TTs. I think he is a great racer. I might not like him as a person but I do wish him luck, for the U.S. in this race and yes he has an out of control talent. His co driver is the only way they will win this race. That is my $ .02
    The documentary was correct, in saying the hummer part of the car was based off his Trophy Truck, that is how they made the carbon fiber body, the actual car though is a modified class 1 I have followed this the whole way and if you go to his website it tells you how the Hummer came into life. Ivan Dan is right on the money when he says Cam originally purchased this class 1 car from Robby, and he bought it back for the Dakar.
    Now on a race update note, go to live tracking something is going on he either broke or got lost but he was held up a check point 2 or right after for quite awhile, that sucks I will keep you posted, or go to the link in previous posts for your own live update.......

SoCal_fun
    The documentary was correct, in saying the hummer part of the car was based off his Trophy Truck, that is how they made the carbon fiber body, the actual car though is a modified class 1 I have followed this the whole way and if you go to his website it tells you how the Hummer came into life. Ivan Dan is right on the money when he says Cam originally purchased this class 1 car from Robby, and he bought it back for the Dakar.
    Now on a race update note, go to live tracking something is going on he either broke or got lost but he was held up a check point 2 or right after for quite awhile, that sucks I will keep you posted, or go to the link in previous posts for your own live update.......
    Damm!

Boa1277
    Robby had transmission problems he is over 3hrs behind leaders, they are hoping they can get back to Quaratzee to repair the car, his chances of winning the overall are very slim, hopefully he will be able to get car fixed and win a few stages.
    So now I am going to really cheer for the Mark Miller team, yeah he is driving for VW but he is American and that is what really counts, I still pick Robby to win a couple of stages and I bet he finishes pretty high in the standing if he gets things back together...

h2oski2fast
    Robby had transmission problems he is over 3hrs behind leaders, they are hoping they can get back to Quaratzee to repair the car, his chances of winning the overall are very slim, hopefully he will be able to get car fixed and win a few stages.
    So now I am going to really cheer for the Mark Miller team, yeah he is driving for VW but he is American and that is what really counts, I still pick Robby to win a couple of stages and I bet he finishes pretty high in the standing if he gets things back together...
    Way to stay loyal. LOL

Riverkid
    Did anyone else see the footage of Robby racing Cam's car at Laughlin? That car has a way back CG and the 95+mph wheelies he was pulling were just sick! He runs everything to the absolute limit. Let's hope he gets the trans fixed and is back to a 100% car for the next stage.
    I could care less about the asphalt rumors. I just love to watch him drive in the dirt!!! .They were finishing that car up when they lifted my truck and it is just sick!!! The fab guys he has under the roof are just amazing. Pretty freaking ambitious of him and I hope he pulls it off.

SoCal_fun
    Still gonna root for Robby! Hope he's able to win some stages as has been said. Wonder what it was that failed.
    It's only his first year with that Hummer, and they only had 90 days to get it together. If they can get the bugs worked out and come back next year, watch out.

SoCal_fun
    From Robbys email updates:
    ROBBY GORDON HUMMER TEAM DOWN BUT NOT OUT
    Stage four of the Dakar Rally from Er Rachidia to Quarzazate, in the North African desert kingdom of Morocco, should have been Robby Gordon’s day to move his “Dakar” Hummer H3 from eighth overall into the top five, but unexpected transmission problems have drastically slowed the American team, dropping them some 3 hours and 51 minutes to the race’s new overall leader, the Spaniard, Carlos Sainz.
    Gordon had placed a brilliant fifth overall on the previous day’s Third Stage, a difficult dust filled run, from the North African port of Nador deep into the Moroccan desert to the finishing point at the town of Er Rachidia. Gordon’s run had raised his position in the overall scoring from 14th to eighth overall. That very advantageous starting position for this morning’s stage from Er Rachidia to Quarzazate had given Gordon and navigator Darren Skilton great confidence that they’d soon be challenging the race leaders for the overall position, even though they were eight minutes down on total time. “Yesterday we had the chance to run head to head with Jean-Louis Schlesser (the eventual winner of Stage 3) in his specially built V8 powered desert racer,” said Gordon, “and our Hummer H3 performed flawlessly.” The Frenchman, a long-time competitor in the Saharan classic finished some 12 minutes ahead of Gordon on total accumulated time but Gordon was unfazed by the seeming deficit. “We proved yesterday that we had the combination of power and handling to beat Schlesser, so today we simply have to make up the time,” said Gordon before the start.
    Once this morning’s race had begun, on the timed “Special” middle stage of the Er Rachidia-Quarzaate trail, Gordon’s Hummer quickly began to demolish Schlesser’s time advantage for the race. “He had a solid 12 minutes on us at the start and we were seven cars back with two minutes spacing between us, so he had disappeared by the time we took to the course. Our Hummer was doing really well and we’d gained almost everything we’d lost when we began to realize that we had a serious transmission problem. A drive flange finally failed, which killed any chance of us taking the overall win.”
    Fortunately Gordon was able to signal another competitor, who relayed the information of the problem to Gordon’s crew, which was awaiting his arrival in Quarzazate. Gordon and Skilton managed to keep the transmission working sufficiently to limp along at a frustratingly slow pace, but their tenacity paid off in that the two were able to cross the finish line, even though it took them 7 hours and 44 minutes to get there. The official finish for the stage will keep Gordon in the race, provided he and his crew can get the Hummer back to Quarzazate and cross the finish line of the Liasion stage in time to make the cut-off time to be an official finisher, and be qualified to start tomorrow’s Fifth Stage from Quarzazate to Tan Tan on the Atlantic Coast of Morocco. “There’s little chance now for an overall win,” said Gordon when questioned about his chances, “but if we can repair the transmission in time to start tomorrow, we can, and certainly will continue. This race has just begun and there will be several more chances to win one of the remaining Special Stages."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast