Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dakar Rally updates!

Boa1277
    Hey I am truly loyal to the Robby Gordon effort I have known the kid since the 8th grade, but I am also a realist 3hrs 51minutes is a huge deficit to overcome for the overall win, if he does it I will probably be just as happy as he is (probably)LOL, but I really want USA to do well, if Robby cant, then hopefully Miller will, I also hope Grider and Blais kick butt in the MX class. I guess I am a pro USA, which I am very proud of.....

coolchange
    Damn, my sidecar buddies are out in the third stage with a counter shaft failure.

Did anyone else see the footage of Robby racing Cam's car at Laughlin? That car has a way back CG and the 95+mph wheelies he was pulling were just sick!
    I was there and saw that.I thought that car looked like carried itself extremely well through the whoops.

Squirtin Thunder
    Is Gordon Back in yet ???

Boa1277
    Here is a report of the 5th stage, Miller got 2nd in the stage making time up on the overall leaders. Robby is back and kicking but, he got 19th for the day moving up 25 spots in the overall competition,Gordon went from 69th to 44th he is going to have to start winning some stages if he hopes to make up time on the leaders, it must be hard to do that starting 119th anyone who has ever been to a desert race realizes the dust and traffic factor.....
    This came off Robbys website
    Stage 5: Update
    TEAM DAKAR USA > News > Stage Report
    Posted by on Jan 4, 2006, 10:04
    Gordon began the day in the same position that he completed yesterday's stage - 119th. He completed the 217 mile special in 4'09" and was the 48th car to cross the finish line meaning he had passed 71 cars on the day. The overall performace with adjusted time was good enough for a 19th place finish on the day wich will move the Hummer up in the starting order for tommorows stage. Gordon improved his overall classificaton to 44th from 69th

superdave013
    thanks for the updates man. I've been checking this thread everyday so please keep 'em comming.
    It sounds like he's not going to Lance Armstrong them this year but I sure hope he pulls of a good finish.

Boa1277
    This is the best link I have found so far for good info on the Dakar, all of the others, with the exception of the actual competitors websites, are mini versions of this one.....
    http://www.dakar.com/2006/DAK/LIVE/us/500/depeches.html

Boa1277
    thanks for the updates man. I've been checking this thread everyday so please keep 'em comming.
    It sounds like he's not going to Lance Armstrong them this year but I sure hope he pulls of a good finish.
    No problem on the updates, unfortunately I will be leaving town tomorrow and will not be home until Sunday, so hopefully someone else will continue the updates, I will gladly start again on Monday.. Have a great weekend everyone...

Ivan Dan
    No problem on the updates, unfortunately I will be leaving town tomorrow and will not be home until Sunday, so hopefully someone else will continue the updates, I will gladly start again on Monday.. Have a great weekend everyone...
    No problem I will handle the updates for ya while you are gone.
    TEAM DAKAR USA STORMS BACK
    GORDON HUMMER MAKES INCREDIBLE RECOVERY ON DAY 5 OF DAKAR
    American Racer Robby Gordon’s “never give up” philosophy pays off in stage 5 run from Quarzatate to Tan Tan Morocco.
    After three brilliant days on the Dakar Rally, Robby Gordon and navigator Darren Skilton had moved their specially built “Dakar Hummer H3” from a 35th starting position in Lisbon Portugal to fifth in Er Richidia, Morroco. On day four, from Er Richidia to Quarzazate, Gordon had the Hummer in contention for the overall win when a small bolt in the transmission failed, almost putting the Hummer completely out of the race. Only Gordon’s skill as a mechanic saved the moment as he had to repeatedly climb under the car and disassemble one of the transmission’s halfshafts to reattach the failing component. He did this six times in the desert finally completing the timed stage just two minutes from being disqualified for being past the allowed time. Then he had to limp over a hundred miles back to the liaison finish line to officially complete the fourth day of competition. Gordon arrived at 10:30 in the evening. This is when Gordon’s ace six-man crew went into action. The transmission was replaced with a new one, but the failing part had to be “re-engineered” so it wouldn’t fail again. The solution was simply to weld the suspect bolt into position so it couldn’t move. After an all-night thrash the Hummer was ready to run just as dawn was breaking over the Atlas Mountains in the far distance.
    Gordon’s last finishing place from the night before relegated the team to 120th on the morning’s starting grid. “Through no fault of our own we went from the lead to so far back we could barely see the lead cars when they left the starting line. This was a real set back as this was the stage (from Quarzazate to Tan Tan) that Robby and I really felt we could win,” said Skilton after the finish.
    Nevertheless Gordon moved from 120th up to 45th. “There was incredible dust on this leg, as we were far enough into the race where the cars are now combined with the trucks in overall finishing order, so that determines the start order for the next day,” said Skliton “If we’d started in front we could have made excellent time but we had to drive smart, taking no chances. We know this race has just begun. There are thousands of miles yet to cover across the roughest part of Africa. Robby passed some 70 cars before we began smelling oil. Not knowing the cause we had to stop and try to solve the problem but we could only determine the reservoir was low, so we topped up and cruised in to Tan Tan. The Hummer seems to be running fine, but we won’t know the source of the leak for sure until the crew gets on it.”
    To make things even more interesting, officials have determined day six will be a “marathon leg” so the morning’s start time will come before dawn. The crew, having had to drive straight through from Quarzazate; leaving just as the car was finished, has had little sleep and is now working on the car to get it ready for the early morning start.
    The good news? Gordon’s good finish today has moved the Hummer team back up the starting order, into contention for a top-10 overall finish. We’ll know more by tomorrow evening.

1978 Rogers
    My money is on Mitsubishi. They've dominated.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast