Thread: What's a good brand of piston to use for marine applications

What's a good brand of piston to use for marine applications

I am curious I am about to build another motor for my jet boat it's a 350 I am gonna use flat top pistons what is a good brand of piston for marine. I just blew up my motor with 13:1 je pistons

Quote Originally Posted by Goodner View Post
    I am curious I am about to build another motor for my jet boat it's a 350 I am gonna use flat top pistons what is a good brand of piston for marine. I just blew up my motor with 13:1 je pistons
    Were you running a forged piston? Ideally forged is the way to go, JE/SRP pistons should work fine. I used them in my last build, i'm using Mahle now just because i got a good deal on them. CP Pistons is another popular brand for the boating guys. What happened in your last motor to cause it to go? An important thing to remember with boats, especially ones that draw cool water from the lake/river is that the block never really gets up to temp. You end up with a water temp of around 140-150 if your lucky, but your pistons are getting up to temp! You need to make sure you put some extra piston to wall clearance in it. Ask the piston manufacture how much, they should be able to tell you. When i ran JE/SRP's in a big block they wanted an extra thousandth of clearance.