Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harmonic Balancer carnage...

Froggystyle
    This is normal... right?

Full speed pass, slow down for no wake zone, running fine and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. Lots of noise, boat still idling fine, but clanking like hell so I shut it off thinking I lost a rod or something and pop the hatch.
    No oil, no smell, no nothing wrong. Except a completely smoked balancer and pulley.
    I have never heard of these things really going bad on people, but I have personally been in the presence of four bad ones. One when I was about 13 came apart on a 21' Eliminator Daycruiser while timing it and damn near killed my dad. Turns out it had been drilled too deeply when balancing though. The second was Jerry (PickleTheLoad's) boat which had the balancer walk around and screw up timing (Also a Merlin). 78Eliminator had one with three timing marks on it. Likely because it was slipping really badly and kept needing to be re-registered, and now this one on OTR. The center rubber is completely toast/missing as you can see.
    The damage is limited to the balancer and pulley though. I pulled the oil seal just for good measure, but everything else looks peachy.
    So... we will not be buying the Merlin replacement again!
    Anyone else have balancers go south on them?

Havasu Hangin'
    That's gonna leave a mark...

Infomaniac
    Never had the balancer do that to me.
    I have stripped out the center/keyway turning a blower without double keying.
    Looks like it is time for an ATI superdamper.

Froggystyle
    Infomaniac:
    Never had the balancer do that to me.
    I have stripped out the center/keyway turning a blower without double keying.
    Looks like it is time for an ATI superdamper. Are you talking about the Fluiddampner?

Infomaniac
    Either one is good.
    Check your PM.

Infomaniac
    Check the timing cover for holes. Looks like it rubbed.

Froggystyle
    Infomaniac:
    Check the timing cover for holes. Looks like it rubbed. I stripped it down, and it just scuffed the paint. Lucky me.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    at least it didn't walk off on one of those high speed passes. It might of made a nice hole in your cover or side of the boat.
    Omega

Froggystyle
    OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
    at least it didn't walk off on one of those high speed passes. It might of made a nice hole in your cover or side of the boat.
    Omega Tell me about it! I got lucky... no two ways about it.

Froggystyle
    Thanks to Info... I now have a shiny new Fluid damper on it's way.
    I don't think this is the proper application for an elastic damper. This should be good gouge for all those of you who built a 5000 rpm motor and are now pulling 6+ with it. Upgrade the damper. It won't last.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast