Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for the Chrysler guys

Kindsvater Flat
    If you're running a 440 I would like to know what your oil pressure is at idle and at 5k.
    Mine is 85 at 1dle and 100 at 5k.

FastTimmy
    Holy Shit!! cry Thats gota hert! Do those things need that much?

Kurtis500
    80 psi at idle on 383, Slightly more at higher rpm.

Moneypitt
    That's an awful lot of pressure!!!!My sons 383 jet stays around 50 at rpm and idles around 35, 30 when hot. 80 lbs is sucking alot of horsepower, Didn't I hear you say you played with the bypass spring? Really, you don't need that much pressure, high volume maybe, but 30-50 or 60 cold is more than enough, in my opinion. I can't remember any real expert info for the mopar wedge, but the BBC experts talk about 30 as plenty. anything more is wasting HP. My .02.....Moneypitt

LakesOnly
    Kindsvater Flat:
    If you're running a 440 I would like to know what your oil pressure is at idle and at 5k.
    Mine is 85 at 1dle and 100 at 5k. I thnik this is too much o/p.
    LO

Blown 472
    My 440 in my car idles 40 wt hot at 35 to 40 and 60 to 70 at 6k.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    100psi can wipe your bearings. What weight oil are you running?
    Omega

Damn, Mike Thats alot of pressure. Doesn't the old rule of thumb of 10lbs per thousand rpms apply here? Even the Ford FEs can live with alot less, 60-65lbs works fine. [contrary to past beliefs of FEs] Does the 440 have a restricted system that requires that much pressure? Is there any modifications that can be done to get it to flow better? Too much oil pressure has several effects such as heating the oil too much, wear on the cam/dist. gear, more power to turn the pump, posssibly 'washing' the bearings out and lack of oil control due to excessive oil thrown on the cylinders and past the valve guides. I'd find a way to get the pressure down to a more manageable limit.

BiggusJimbus
    Are you getting those numbers off a mechanical guage?
    Before you go nuts, make sure you are getting accurate info.
    Good Luck.

LakesOnly
    058:
    Damn, Mike Thats alot of pressure. Doesn't the old rule of thumb of 10lbs per thousand rpms apply here? Even the Ford FEs can live with alot less, 60-65lbs works fine. [contrary to past beliefs of FEs] Does the 440 have a restricted system that requires that much pressure? Is there any modifications that can be done to get it to flow better? Too much oil pressure has several effects such as heating the oil too much, wear on the cam/dist. gear, more power to turn the pump, posssibly 'washing' the bearings out and lack of oil control due to excessive oil thrown on the cylinders and past the valve guides. I'd find a way to get the pressure down to a more manageable limit. Yeah, what he said....
    LO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast