Thread: Proposed regulations in Idaho. HELP PLEASE

mcdirt
    A group in McCall, Idaho has proposed legislation that would limit access to users of Payette Lake in McCall. The legislation begins with the outright ban of float houses, hovercraft, boats longer than 35', and any boat with over transom exhaust.
    Two stroke engines would also be banned, however, 15hp engines or lesser size would be allowed on sailboats.
    Speed limits would be set at no more than 40mph during the day and 20mph at night. Of course the speeds around other users be it boat or swimmer would be limited to 15mph.
    Also a no wake zone would be established around the entire lake extending between 400' or 600' depending on the population density of the surrounding shore.
    Although I see the sense and reasoning of speed limits around other users, and reasonable no wake zones, I do not agree with limiting the access to a public lake by law abiding citizens.
    Legislation like this needs to be stopped, if you can offer any ideas to help combat this, please respond to this thread.
    I know that two strokes are getting cleaner everyday, over transom exhaust gets quieter every year, and a 40mph speed limit is silly. Too bad for the float plane guys! Please Respond.
    Thank You ***boat!

slcbaker
    Find out what group it is and fight back. That would really suck to see bans like this go through. I hope it is not a company trying to clean up the lake or the city. Just keep up on the issue. More lakes that go to the speed limit of 40 ect, then the trend will spread. Just fight and try to let the hot boat boards know. I for one have never been north of Bear Lake, but would hate to see a trend start that trickles it way around the country. to me thjat is the one joy of owning a boat is the never ending quest for that one or two mile an hour more goal. And to not be able to run over 40 mph would just suck.

mcdirt
    OK folks, I am going to oppose this legislation. However, I'm certain that other communities (Lake Havasu) have already fought this fight and I am looking for their input. I recall several years ago Yamaha Motor Corp. published a flyer that discussed the topic of exhaust introduction to a body of water from the exhaust of a two stroke outboard motor. They published the finding to discount the myth that MTBE's were ruining the quality of the water. It's this kind of stuff I'm looking for. Anybody remember this, or any other arguments to help fend off this kind of regulation would be greatly appreciated.

Boatcop
    OK folks, I am going to oppose this legislation. However, I'm certain that other communities (Lake Havasu) have already fought this fight and I am looking for their input. I recall several years ago Yamaha Motor Corp. published a flyer that discussed the topic of exhaust introduction to a body of water from the exhaust of a two stroke outboard motor. They published the finding to discount the myth that MTBE's were ruining the quality of the water. It's this kind of stuff I'm looking for. Anybody remember this, or any other arguments to help fend off this kind of regulation would be greatly appreciated.
    I believe that the location you're asking about is Lake Tahoe. Although that's a different situation, since Tahoe is essentially a "private" lake, regulated by the local water board.
    Those types of things aren't (yet) an issue on Lake Havasu or other parts of the Colorado River, except in areas set aside as Federal National Wildlife Areas or within the National Recreation Areas (Mead/Mohave/Powell) although overall max speed hasn't been reduced, except is sensitive areas.