Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are my options for building or buying a box to fit in my boat?

TRUMP TIGHT
    Here is the issue. I have an 18ft Spectre that had 2 12in orions in boxes under the bow. One box was broke so i took the sub and put it in my girlfriends car. The other i hooked up and it sounded like shit. I checked the box and found that their are air leaks everywhere! I just got 2 jl 12's that my girlfried bought for the boat (not sure what model she got them at a garage sale but she hooked them up and said they work) so i would like to install them next time i go to AZ. I would have 1 nite to do the install and im not sure that even if i got truck boxes that they would fit through the access hole for under the bow. I dont want to build them under the bow i would preffer to build the then slide them in. Does anyone sale premade boxes that fold together and use a couple of screws in one location that would sound good or do i just bite the bullet?

h2oski2fast
    BS, Havasu Hangin' said that air leaks are like tiny ports.
    Do it right. A box needs to be resined so that it doesn't fall apart from water.
    Didn't that boat come from riverbound also? He said he has never had a box fall apart? :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

TRUMP TIGHT
    Didn't that boat come from riverbound also? He said he has never had a box fall apart? :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
    Yes, I did get the boat from Riverbound. The box on the left was completely distroyed! It seemed like cheap wood. The one that i left in the boat leaked air at the rim of the sub, where the top of the box met the side walls and where he used masking tape to cover the hole he drilled instead of putting in terminals!

TRUMP TIGHT
    BS, Havasu Hangin' said that air leaks are like tiny ports.
    Do it right. A box needs to be resined so that it doesn't fall apart from water.
    How long do i need to let resin set?

TRUMP TIGHT
    I'm gonna go with until it's dry. Build the whole box and then resin it with marine fiberglass resin. Once it's dry, you can carpet it or whatever you're going to do with it.
    Don i need to marine fiberglass the box or is it just a durability thing?

TRUMP TIGHT
    fiberglass resin. You paint it on to waterproof the box so that this crap doesn't happen again. If you don't, the box will absorb water, expand and break. You're not actually adding any fiberglass to the box, just resining it.
    Thanks for info. Maybe i can tac on my boxes to DILLIGAF's bill with WFS!

ROZ
    Since you're putting it on Dilligaf's bill.....
    Pay Jon to cut your wood at his shop, then assembly it at your vacation place. Resin it, and paint or carpet it a couple hours later.. He can precut the speaker hole, too...
    Jus an idea....

riverbound
    Yes, I did get the boat from Riverbound. The box on the left was completely distroyed! It seemed like cheap wood. The one that i left in the boat leaked air at the rim of the sub, where the top of the box met the side walls and where he used masking tape to cover the hole he drilled instead of putting in terminals!
    The wood was standard MDF...They were not resined as they were never designed to be in there long term. When Your Father bought the boat I explained to him that the boxes were junk and that they would need to be replaced prior to the boat going on the water. and that if he wanted too, I would have had the boxes rebuilt prior to him taking delivery. Peel the masking tape back and you will see that the hole was filled with silicone the tape was there to prevent the silicine from coming out and getting all over the interior while we were wrestling the boxes into place. the one box I had already starte to remove from the boat (hence why it was completely destroyed). and the woofer was just sitting there on the floor. We never sued those plastic terminals on our boxes because they do leak. and there is or reason for them unless you plan on making the boxes removable.....and they werent.

riverbound
    Oh...and they are 2 8ohm subs so running just one should sound pretty shitty

h2oski2fast
    The wood was standard MDF...They were not resined as they were never designed to be in there long term. When Your Father bought the boat I explained to him that the boxes were junk and that they would need to be replaced prior to the boat going on the water. and that if he wanted too, I would have had the boxes rebuilt prior to him taking delivery. Peel the masking tape back and you will see that the hole was filled with silicone the tape was there to prevent the silicine from coming out and getting all over the interior while we were wrestling the boxes into place. the one box I had already starte to remove from the boat (hence why it was completely destroyed). and the woofer was just sitting there on the floor. We never sued those plastic terminals on our boxes because they do leak. and there is or reason for them unless you plan on making the boxes removable.....and they werent.
    F.U.N. whatever! Excuses, excuses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast