Thread: 460 Ford balance ?

wsm9808
    Well, Ive run into another issue with the 460 that I am assembling for my friends jet.
    I'm not sure which balance crank I have. I understand the 2Y cranks are internal, and the 3Y are external balance. But mine has no marks.
    The parts that came with the engine has the front "sleeve" without the pork chop weight and a neutral flexplate. But Im not sure the crank I have was the one that came out of this block.
    Is there another way to tell which crank you have? I have a 2Y crank setting around and it looks the same other than a square "bump" cast in below the front counter weight. Do 3Y cranks have this "bump"
    I tried to upload a pic, but for some reason it wont load. I can email the picture to someone if they need to see it.
    Thanks
    scott

wsm9808
    OK, I got the picture to load today.
    Some markings cast into the crank are 1O, 1D, WSM, and then there is a 44 in raised letters.
    Any ideas on what crank I have in this thing?
    Thanks
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...26IMAGE071.JPG

SmokinLowriderSS
    There has got to be some numbers like these someplace. These are the only 385 block ford crank castings I am finding. I am not finding any guidance on where to find them tho. Should be cast in I think.
    429 68-78 4U or 4UA
    460 68-78 2Y or 2YA or 2YAB or 2YABC
    460 79- 3Y
    Also the other numbers I am finding do not corespond to anything you are posting. There is a mfg date code, but that is supposed to be a letter followed by a number.

Ralph Brunt
    your ?? would be answered on the 460 forum faster try this www.460.com or wait for lakes only sorry i cant be more help Ralph

LakesOnly
    The crankshaft identification marks as noted by smokinglowriderss are usually found on the leading or trailing edge of any one of the counterweights. If you have inspected all of the counterweights thoroughly and do not have any of the noted markings, then you very, very likely have an crankshaft that was externally balanced from the factory.
    Further, if by chance the block you are usuing is a D9TE-AB block, then only the late model external balance crank drops in and rotates without clearance issues (whereas any early/late crank will fit all the other blocks). It is possible to notch the D9TE-AB block for the early crank though, so beware.
    Finally, the large machined pads that your arrow points to also denotes a very late 3YA crank.
    If it is a factory external balance crank, then make determine if it has been internally balanced (mallory in a throw)!
    LO

wsm9808
    your ?? would be answered on the 460 forum faster try this www.460.com or wait for lakes only sorry i cant be more help Ralph
    Thanks Ralph,
    It was a post I read on 460ford.com that made me question the crank I have. Someone on the 460 forum asked a simular question and Paul(lakesonly) mentioned that cranks with no marks may be an external balance.
    Thanks for all the replys so far. Its starting to look like I have an external balance.
    Oh, yea, the block is a DIVE, and no Mallory in the crank. Its all stock, I just think someone threw in the wrong crank with this motor when they boxed up all the parts. At least its just a matter of changing the flywheel and front sleeve if we get it wrong---I assume it will have a severe vibration if it has the wrong parts bolted on the ends of the crank.
    So, Paul, are you saying that the 3Y cranks have the same square lug on the the front counter weight like the one the arrow points to in my pic? Because the 2Ys that I have do not have that lug there.

LakesOnly
    So, Paul, are you saying that the 3Y cranks have the same square lug on the the front counterweight like the one the arrow points to in my pic? Because the 2Ys that I have do not have that lug there.The 2Y (internal balance) cranks will not have the pads that your arrow points to, while the 3Y (external balance) cranks may or may not have this feature, usually only on those that were late in production (early 3Y cranks may not have it).
    LO

Blown 472
    The 2Y (internal balance) cranks will not have the pads that your arrow points to, while the 3Y (external balance) cranks may or may not have this feature, usually only on those that were late in production (early 3Y cranks may not have it).
    LO
    Speaking of cranks, you got any 514 kits that use a stock offset ground crank?

LakesOnly
    Speaking of cranks, you got any 514 kits that use a stock offset ground crank?(OT Blown, At this time, High Flow Dynamics is in the business of selling only what we manufacture in-house and little else in the way of aftermarket parts. But we do make exceptions in some cases.
    At this moment, I have just one offset oem 460 stroker crank and am keeping it for myself and an upcoming build.
    High Flow Dynamics shop inventory, however, includes dozens upon dozens of 460 cranks and we can have one offset stroked if you wish; as it is we are due for sending out another 5 cranks just for this purpose/to have in stock for future builds. We are strong believer's in (and take preference to) the stroked oem 460 cranks over the chinese stroker cranks.
    Need to run; I have to prep the vehicle for a 10-engine delivery at the Nitro Nat's next w/e.
    LO