Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mr Havasu Cat prop slip calcs

riverliver
    MR. Slip (svo540)
    what do you think the slip difference is on the Daytona from the 1.50 to 1.36, you know the numbers that we talk about.
    P.S. don't account for the El diablo,Tic Tac's or the Green thumb. LOL

mrpumps HTM
    Originally posted by RiverDave2:
    Did Mr.Pump say Castaic this weekend? On saturday or sunday? I was thinking of going up there with a buddy of mine.. If we can hook up for that ride then I'll definately make it a point to be there! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
    RD
    RIVERDAVE IS THAT YOU ??????????????????????? maybe sunday because the snow is calling (saturday) BUT ITS ON IF WE HOOK UP!!!!!!!!
    [This message has been edited by mrpumps HTM (edited December 06, 2001).]

kmahtm
    OOPS

Tom Slick
    Pumps, whats up? My sled is up at Havasu, so Castaic is out this weekend! Are you guys going to head up to Havasu again any time soon? I need to get up there at some point to bring the boat back, so I can pump it up for next season.

RiverDave2
    Mrpump, I think Sunday is calling for shitty weather.. The weather for Saturday is going to be right around 80 degrees! If your going to be out on Sunday I might just drive up there bymyself though.
    Got an Extra Lifeline? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    RD

mrpumps HTM
    Originally posted by RiverDave2:
    Mrpump, I think Sunday is calling for shitty weather.. The weather for Saturday is going to be right around 80 degrees! If your going to be out on Sunday I might just drive up there bymyself though.
    Got an Extra Lifeline? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    RD
    RD ......HELL i dont know maybe saturday looks like no snowboarding for me this sat

MIKEHTMSR24
    East coast here, in Greenville,SC.
    I have a 1999 HTM SR-24 with a N/A 540, I had my motor dynoed the last time I did some work to it.
    683 hp @ 5700 and they stopped @ that rpm because of the hyd. roller cam
    676 torque @ 4600. This should put my prop shaft hp around 650.
    I am currently running a labbed 26 Bravo 1. Bronson Hill did the lab work. RPM is around 5300 to 5500 (depending on conditions). Avg. speed is around 85 and best GPS speed was 89.7 @ 5500 (light load and good chop).
    I have a 1.36 drive ratio with a Imco 2" shortie. I picked up about 3.5 when I went with the shortie. I also did a back to back test with a stock 26 Bravo 1 and the Bronson Hill and I picked up 2.5 mph without any rpm gain.
    My question is:
    Do you think I will pick up any speed if I switch to a 1.5 gear ratio and change prop pitch to get it at the same rpm I am turning my 26?
    This will not be a real cheap change over. It would be nice to know if it would really help out b-4 the cash goes out the door.
    My motor has a lot of torque but not like a blower motor does. http://www.geocities.com/mickey16920...MikeParks.html
    [This message has been edited by MIKEHTMSR24 (edited December 17, 2001).]

MrHavasuCat
    I say no because the smaller prop will give you less slip than the larger wheel you would have to run with the 1.50's. You will also have a harder time planning with the larger prop, and this might even be increased with the 2" shorter drive. my.02

SVO 540
    I have to agree with MrHavasuCat. I don't think the dollars would be well spent. You could gain more speed by spending those bucks somewhere else. There is one point of conflict and that is you are N/A and these motors generally like the 1.50 gears, however you have alot of torque (676) and I think this is enough to power that 1.36 gear with good results.

MIKEHTMSR24
    Bam Marine in FL is claiming (not to me) but in general that the 1.5s are faster. Their reasoning behind this is that the motor doesn't have to turn the prop as much in the water. I did have one of my buddies tell me it picked up mph on one of his buddies boat. It picked up 4.5 more mph. What I don't know is what motor the boat had in it.
    I agree what you are saying about take off with the larger pitches.
    I would like to have a little more rpm than what I am getting out of the 26 in the summer. months. So maybe a 28 would be ok with the 1.5.
    I might get to try my buddies outdrive on my boat next summer. He has a 1.5 with a shortie. This would be a cheap test. If I can do this it's a no brainer. If I can't it could be very expensive and my wallet is not that fat. If If If trying my buddies drive works then maybe I could find someone who would want to swap. I like gaining speed w/o adding hp like my shortie and labbed prop did for me. Both gave me 6 more mph.
    The web site for Bam Marine I think is www.go-fast.com (http://www.go-fast.com)
    You might have to do a search for it. They have a really cool site to determine slip, hp, weight, or rpm.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast