Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDTV question

phebus
    I got a new plasma tv, and I hung it above my fireplace. The cable company that provides my service, provides 6' component cables for hook-up, but the way I have to route the cables through the wall, they are too short. When I contacted them, they said they don't reccomend anything longer due to signal loss.
    O.K. here's the question- Would it be O.K. to go with longer component cables (those 5 cable component cables are a bitch to run through wall studs), or would I be better off using a HDMI to DVI cable. The length of cable I need to run is 10-12 feet.
    Thanks

Jyruiz
    I would go with the DVI or HDMI cable, but your cable company is full of shit about signal loss with component cables over 6 feet.

phebus
    My TV has a HDMI input, and my DVR/cable box has a DVI-D output.
    Do they make cables that connect the two? The HDMI cable would be much easier and cleaner to run then the 5 cable component cable.
    Which provides the better signal?

Jyruiz
    I would do as Bob said but would also run a set of stereo cables running from the cable box to the plasma so when you don't whant to use your HT system. I only use my HT system for movies and certain shows/sport events, not everything.

phebus
    I just called my cable company (Cox), and they said that some of their newer boxes have the HDMI output. They said even though they have it, they don't support it (whatever that means, because he said it would work, I just don't think they provide cabling).
    Here is the trick part, he said I could exchange boxes, but said he doubted the counter person would have a clue when I told them I needed a box with the HDMI output. He said it would be a real crapshoot if I could get one or not.
    What the heck, I'm off to try, it would make a lot cleaner install.

Here is what you need:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
    Monoprice Beeotch!! 10 bones for that cable - I have it and its flawless over the 15 foot span.
    The Good Guys (LOL) would want about $100 for that baby....

phebus
    Well go figure. I talked to tech service, and they said to go excange the box for a HDMI box. So, I went to the cable company, and they were closed today. Great communication. Fockers

phebus
    Here is what you need:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=
    Monoprice Beeotch!! 10 bones for that cable - I have it and its flawless over the 15 foot span.
    The Good Guys (LOL) would want about $100 for that baby....
    What kind of audio cable are you running with that? Digital?

I am using an optical audio cable - (you can also buy it from Monoprice).

ROZ
    I run cable all over a house to home runs... Sometime amplified, but it depends on what you're working with.
    Depending on how you're pulling your wire and how you're doing your video/audio switching for your video sources, it may be easier to run RG6 and RG59 and terminate them however you need them terminated.
    RG59 is for digital/HD signal
    RG6 is for std definition or low level audio cables.(RCA audio inc subwoofer cable, etc)
    So, 1 a/v signal run in this case is 3 RG59 for component video terminated with BNC or RCA ends and RG6 for audio terminated with RCA ends.
    As far as HDMI signal loss, the max you'd want to run that custom cable is 50ft. Carbonfiber's company has one available longer that doesn't loose signal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast