Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leaking Pump

Taylorman
    Yesterday i noticed my pump seal leaking. Its an e pump and i noticed a few streams of water coming in at around the seal. Will this require pulling the pump or is there an easy way to temp fix it? Im thinking about gooping it up with 5200.

IMPATIENT 1
    Tighten Up The Packing Seal Alittle,be Carefull Not To Over Do It, It'll Wear Into The Shaft If It Hasn't Already.

Taylorman
    Not the packing seal, where the pump is bolted in the boat, that seal.

IMPATIENT 1
    Not the packing seal, where the pump is bolted in the boat, that seal.
    OH, GOT THE SAME PROB TOO.I'LL BE WAITING TILL THE PUMP DETONATES BEFORE I SEPERATE PUMP FROM PUMP TO FIX.

IMPATIENT 1
    Whoever Installed Mine Used Some Type Of Putty,i Take It As The Sea Goin Stuff,i Cleaned The Area Good And Siliconed It The Best I Could.it Doesn't Leak Bad But Does Have A Small Trickle,maybe A Cup After 20 Minutes.

CARLSON-JET
    I was chasing leaks 2 years ago and was concerend about a hairline crack around the intake on the bottom side. I know I should have reset the intake but was not wanting to do it at that point. I was at our local ace and grabbed some marine putty that comes in a clear plastic tube and is 2 parts. package says will dry/cure under water. One part is rolled inside the other.( I think it was from loctite but not sure) I ground out a shallow groove ( about 3/32" deep) along the crack and used 80 grit to roughen the area next to the groove. I Then mixed up small amounts of the marine putty and filled and smoothing it out. A little bit of spit helped to make it very uniform after about 1/2 an hour. Although not the best I know it is better then silicone sealeant. It needs resetting (33 years old) and I'm sure someone will pipe in with a horror story. The crack has not re-appeared and I do plan to reset it after I get the SWTD project floating. R.B.

Devilman
    Tighten Up The Packing Seal Alittle,be Carefull Not To Over Do It, It'll Wear Into The Shaft If It Hasn't Already.
    What is considered normal leakage around the packing seal? Water dripping every few seconds, something like that?

CARLSON-JET
    What is considered normal leakage around the packing seal? Water dripping every few seconds, something like that?
    Possibly a little more time inbetween drips like 15-30 seconds. It might not show up as a drip but as a fine mist under power. When tightening these I would go no more then an 1/8th turn at a time. Run it for awhile and re-inspect. In my limited expierence I found it was easy to tighten too much but not easy to back it off before it starts to "burn" the seals. R.B.

Devilman
    Possibly a little more time inbetween drips like 15-30 seconds. It might not show up as a drip but as a fine mist under power. When tightening these I would go no more then an 1/8th turn at a time. Run it for awhile and re-inspect. In my limited expierence I found it was easy to tighten too much but not easy to back it off before it starts to "burn" the seals. R.B.
    Taylorman's post just reminded me of a possible leak situation on my boat as well. Noticed quite a bit of water in the bilge that normally isn't there. After pumping it out, seemed to be dripping around that area a little more than normal. Thanks for the info.

1975sleekcraft
    mine was leaking wher the pump bolts to the intake. a little marine-tex later no leak. i love marine-tex it's the shizzle. every marine store sells it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast