Thread: mods

dawgdude
    Questions?? I'm new to this ***boat stuff. Sold my fishing boat when I saw that first hotrod at the boat show. Anyway, I got a 24' Vindicator. Great boat for a newbie ***boater and was fine for the first two trips, NOW!!!,, I need more speed!!! Don't want to spend alot, no blowers. I want to buy BIGGER boat sometime in the future so for now I just want to get about 5 or so mph out of this one. That will put it in the 60's. I also need a little thump out of that 2001 7.4. You know the sound, bump a de bump a de bump. So much for the extended warranty
    [This message has been edited by dawgdude (edited May 03, 2002).]

28 Donzi
    try a larger air cleaner over stock should get you 1-2 mph. Then get you prop lab finished, should give you a couple more miles per hour.

justjoshin
    I know how you feel. I have the 19' vindicator with the 5.0 and I too am trying to find out the same thing. I have the through hull exhaust on mine from the factory, and it sounds great.
    [This message has been edited by justjoshin (edited May 09, 2002).]

BOFH
    Since your want a little speed, and a better sound, do what was just recomended (Spark Arrestor and prop) and get a nice set of headers with through hull exhaust. After that, play with a custom computer and ignition.

dawgdude
    Well you guys pretty much settled it. I had the prop done at mike hoods here in Houston. It got me about 2 mph. The air cleaner was my next mod. I was running thru the offshore stuff the other day and saw an add for stainless replacements after the risers. It's spose to move the water furture away from the riser reducing backpressure. I had the guy send me info. It sounds pretty good for 200 bucks and he says it will get me two to 3, mabey a little more on the top end, plus a better sound. 200's a heck of alot better than dropping a grand on headers.

BOFH
    Houston? Well, what do you know... I am down in Kemah.
    Anyway, I would not get the risers. Little gain for non-recoverable price. If / When you get headers, you will need risers to match. Save the money and just get the set. Travis at Mars Marine can get you Satinless Steel Marine headers at a reasonable price. 5 year warentee...

dawgdude
    Good to talk to somebody from around here. Mabey we can hook up one weekend. We've been spending a lot of time down there the last few weeks. I've had several others tell me the same thing bout the headers. Guess I'm gonna break down and get the whole setup. I've decided to do headers, Spark arrester, cam and have the pcm reprogramed and leave it at that. I'll have to get with this guy Travis and see what kind of deal he'll make.

mlitefan
    I too have a 24 Vindicator with the 7.4 MPI.
    I went nuts and am dropping a new 540HP 502 in next week. I hope to see the low to mid 70's with it. The lightning headers should make for a great sound as well!!!
    I will let you guys know how it turns out. The boat is VERY stable with the 7.4...almost boring at WOT unless the chop is up. I think that might change now... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif