Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbe Question

Jack Black
    I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but I am toying with the Idea of getting an outboard (Stoker, Baker or something along those lines) and was wondering about the reliability of the engines out there. I've heard stories of outboards being very reliable with years of trouble-free use, then I've also heard about people dumping tons of money in to them because they keep blowing up. Is it an issue of abuse or lack of maintenance that is causing these to fail, certain brands more reliable than others or is it just luck of the draw? I am very familiar with flatty's, I/O's and tournament boats, but no experience with an O/B. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dc96819
    I dumped a ton in mine reliability is good.Would be a different story if i did it my self

vishus
    if you leave them stock and give them good gas and oil, watch your water pressure/temp, they live for a good long time. NOW if you hot rod them, run them hot, abuse them, then they die like anything else. parts are more than a car motor, and labor is high. shop for parts and do your own work to save $$$. check out www.screamandfly.com the discussions get a bit bitchy, but the parts and some of the advice are good...
    IF you want to go FAST without doing much wrenching, go BLACK (Mercury), OMC is good, but not much performance stuff without alot of $$ and work. Yamaha is good if you leave it stock (popular with the fisherman), Suzuki "sucks" , too bad they can't build them like there bikes...
    if your interested in going FAST, get the HP stuff, you can always mod it for more go. if you start with the basic motors, its harder to get speed, you can make them run fast, but it will take $$ and work...
    sid

Towndrunk
    Stock is good mod is bad. Same as any other type boat. You will get better economy with an outboard and most always more speed per horse power.

You Te
    The use of nitrous will help you find the weak links on the motor.

Tom Brown
    I think the people who are having reliability problems are the guys who are smarter than Mercury. If someone knows how to fix Mercury's bad designs, they probably know a whole bunch about how to fix their engine.
    Keep it stock, treat it well, and it will run forever.
    Oh yeah... Scream & Fly sucks.

whiteworks
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...ghlight=stoker this one should last quite a while. from my experiance you either pay up front and go have fun or pay as you go and spend the weekend running around fixing stuff. either way you pay. Ive been told that if you treat these engines well you could see a 1000 hours

I have 250 hour on my 2.5 merc and it runs great. My stoker will run aroung 75 to 80 and almost 90 on a good day. I have done nothing but tune the motor.

Towndrunk
    Thats a lot of money for an OB. Especially a stoker. Heres a lot better deal and it's in Phx. I know this guy and he is ANAL about his stuff!
    http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=107175

Jack Black
    Thank's for all the info so far guys. It would end up staying bone stock. Need some fast, reliable transportation from Needles to Havasu and back. Takes too long in the wakeboard boat. When looking at used O/B's, what are some of the things I should look for in regards to the engine being abused? Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast