Thread: I want it loud, help

johnny8052
    While I am waiting for my boat to be built, I want to figure out what kind of sytem to put in it. (21 ultra stealth) I'm thinking 4 polk audio 6.5's (10-100 watts rms) powered by an alpine 4 channel 70wx4 rms at 4 ohms (100wx4 rms at 2 ohms. Are 10-100rms watts really loud and if so, can this amp power them? As for subs, 2 polk/momo 12" subs 75-400w rms powered by kenwood 2 channel 170x2 rms. Is that enough power for those subs. And an Alpine hd, satelite,cd, ipod head unit. If i need more power out of my amps let me know. And how are polk, on their website one of thier spec's is that they are suitable for marine use. as opposed to spending an extra 150 dollars just to get exclusively marine speakers. Any info would be great. Thanks

sigepmock
    We had a 21 Stealth and it sounded very good for the money. When the boat was being built I talked with Martin, Ultra's stereo guy sorry I forget his shops name. Any way the boat came standard with 4 JL 6.5's, 2 JL 12's, and a JL six channel amp. I paid him direct to bump the subs to W3 12's (next step up from the W0's) and add a JL 500/1 to power the subs, two 4 ohm speakers wired in parrallel to 2 ohms, then I added to MB Quart 6 x9's in pods under the engine hatch off the 5th and sixth channel. I think we paid $2500 for the Big Ultra Stereo and then another $500 for the added amp and sub upgrade.
    It sounded very clean and very loud for a 21 footer. The best feature was the added 6x9's under the hatch, they really put the sound out to the beach. The subs also hit very hard.
    Anyway, that's what we ran. I have heard good things about the Polk/momo speakers. I'm not crazy about the Kenwood and Alpine amps. I was very impressed with the JL amps, never overheated on us once and they were buried under the side panel with little to no air movement.
    I'm definately going to be running JL amps in the new boat.
    Another argument you might hear is that if you want volume 6x9's are the way to go and if you want sound qual, then go with 6.5's. I think the key is to match good amps with good speakers and keep their placement high in the boat to get the sound out of the boat.
    Anyway good luck and congrats on the new boat. You're gonna love owning an Ultra.
    Oh yeah stick with the standard car audio stuff, no need to spend the money on Marine speakers.
    Chris

UHHH SUCKA
    I could not get any car/marine audio speaker to meet my needs. I went with horn drivers and mid-bass from a P.A. system. Will never go back to Car/marine speakers in any of my future boats. went with 6-8ohm horn drivers for the highs and 6-6.5" 8ohm mid bass for the voice, but still kept the car audio amps. For the subs I got 2-15" Treo's and 2-12" Punsh HE2. This thing is loud and clear. My brother also installed the same type of system in his 28' Commander Cat only a bit louder W/ 4-15" punch and his rocks. I got all the gear from www.partsexpress.com and built it to my satisfaction.

Jesster
    I would definitly rethink the 2 channel Kenwood amp and go with a sub amp (class D) they are single channel but get (2) 8 ohm wired to a 4 ohm load then you can run pretty much any amp. If you get (2) 4 ohm make sure you amp is 2 ohm stable and you can run it that way. You could also go with dual voice coil subs like the JL's or Phoenix Gold that will also change your wiring options quite a bit. I haven't heard the MOMO subs but there are a number of people on here that have so somebody will let you know.
    I've got 2 sets of 6.5 Polk Momo's and 2 sets of 6x9 Momo's with 2 Kicker 850x4's but they aren't installed yet, should be done this weekend.

kcvega
    I finally got mine turned on last night with 4 Polk momo 6.5's running off a (cheap) Power acoustik amp(85x4). I'm very pleased with how they sound. I'm no professional but it sounds really good so far. Should be hooking up subs tonight or tomorrow night.

Jesster
    Keep in mind also that the rated power of 70x4 on the alpine is rated at 14.4V it is more realistic to say 12.5V when the boat is pulled up on the beach so figure maybe 35-45 watts. This is half the power (3db drop from 70 to 35 watts), which in this case makes your system half as loud as it would be pushing a true 70-90 watts, which if you go with the MOMO's they can handle. You would rather have an amp rated at more power easily pushing your speakers than a smaller amp struggling to keep up.

ROZ
    I finally got mine turned on last night with 4 Polk momo 6.5's running off a (cheap) Power acoustik amp(85x4). I'm very pleased with how they sound. I'm no professional but it sounds really good so far. Should be hooking up subs tonight or tomorrow night.
    They are a great sounding speaker for the money.. Grill is durable, screws on, and looks okay