Thread: Olds, chevy, and Ford

SIDEWAZ
    Hey guys I've been reading your board for a while, finally got around to joining in. I have a 1972 sidewinder 350 olds, with a 2 bbl carb, berk 12jc this winter working on the interior. Next year I want to do the motor up, I'm on a budget, but i want to put a nice running solid engine in that I don't have to tweak all the time, I like the 350 olds so far, but looking into parts to rebuild, I'm learning they are hard to find and expensive, other than the oil problem with the olds, I wanted to get some feedback as to pro's and cons of olds, chevy, and ford. I have been thinking about converting to a chevy or ford, just because the parts are cheaper and more available,(can that be done with out changing anything on the berk? Thanks guys. Also this is WetDreams fault!

Bow Tie Omega
    Personally, I think any boat with a big V-8 is cool. Nothing sounds better then a big block rumbling in the marina. If you are looking for the ease of finding parts, Chevy is the way to go. I have just purchased the following for a reasonable price for my bone stock BB Chevy(454).
    Comp Cams Extreme Marine K11-240-4, Weiand Team G Intake (1500-7000 rpm), Summit Roller Rockers, Performance Distributors HEI Ignition, Holley Marine 750 Carb, PJ Gear Drive. The heads will get a mild port and polish and hoping to get a set of Lightening Water Jacketed Headers (blems). All of this for around $2500.00 and approx 475-500 hp. These projects have a way of growing on thier own. Good luck to you and your project...Joe

disco_charger
    How much are Lightening Water jacketed headers as a blem? I'd like to get some, but won't spend the $2000 for new ones.
    Disco

flat broke
    disco_charger:
    How much are Lightening Water jacketed headers as a blem? I'd like to get some, but won't spend the $2000 for new ones.
    DiscoDude, you know that all you have to do is ask the source and we'll hook you up with the 411!
    click here you green metallic throwback clad river pimp
    Call lightning direct and see what they can do. BTW a set of lightnings for your boat would only run 1500 new through lightning direct. If you end up headin out to Elsinore one day to have your boat fitted, let me know and maybe I'll tag along and try and weasel a free lunch out of ya wink
    Talk to you later,
    Chris

77charger
    I think that either a ford or chevy will be fine both are cheap to build and parts are readily availible for either prob more boat parts for a chevy.but more than enough for a ford.
    If you plan on a mild build my personal opinion a ford will be cheaper parts a tad more but for up to certain amount of hp(500hp) the ford can do with stock parts.crank,rods,block.Versus the chevy were you will want a 4 bolt block,better rods and forged crank. But for the bigger hp the chevy starts to save money.
    Both motors are reliable and durable.I know that a ford can be found in so cal very easily at the wrecking yards for cheap and i have only seen two big block chevys to hundreds of big block fords.Its just that big block chevys were not in as many car motors as the big fords were.but the sbcs are easily around