Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heightened Law Enforcement on the Water

CityGuy
    It's been awhile since I've posted and apparently I can't be "Havasuvian" anymore. Oh well.
    I was about to send this release to the media and I thought I'd share it with you all as well. I understand there will be increased enforcement by a number of agencies this summer. Mohave County Sheriff has more boats on the lake and I'm told the Coast Guard will be out again this weekend. DPS is also gearing up for increased enforcement on the roads.
    Have a great weekend but be careful out there.
    Charlie
    Heightened Law Enforcement on the Water
    In addition to its ‘zero tolerance’ policy towards all unlawful activity in and around the popular Bridgewater Channel area of the city this holiday weekend, the Lake Havasu City Police Department is increasing the number of officers and boat patrols in a targeted effort to remove and prosecute impaired boat operators.
    “We want all boaters to feel safe while operating in the Channel,” said acting police Chief Dan Doyle. “We are increasing the number of officers and patrol boats, and placed them on varied shifts to actively enforce both state and local laws.” Doyle added that additional officers from neighboring agencies have been hired to assist during the Memorial Day holiday weekend.
    “We encourage all boaters to use a designated driver,” said Doyle. “It’s simple. If you drink, don’t drive, and if you drive, don’t drink.”
    Boaters, residents and visitors are all reminded that Arizona Revised Statute 5-395 states:
    It is unlawful for any person to operate or be in actual physical control of a motorized watercraft that is underway within this state, 1) while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, a vapor releasing substance containing a toxic substance or any combination of liquor, drugs or vapor releasing substance if the person is impaired to the slightest degree, or 2) If the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more within two hours of operating or being in actual physical control of the motorized watercraft and the alcohol concentration results from alcohol consumed either before or while operating or being in actual physical control of the motorized watercraft.
    -- END --

RiverDave
    God that last little bit there..
    Boaters, residents and visitors are all reminded that Arizona Revised Statute 5-395 states:
    It is unlawful for any person to operate or be in actual physical control of a motorized watercraft that is underway within this state, 1) while under the influence of intoxicating liquor, any drug, a vapor releasing substance containing a toxic substance or any combination of liquor, drugs or vapor releasing substance if the person is impaired to the slightest degree, or 2) If the person has an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more within two hours of operating or being in actual physical control of the motorized watercraft and the alcohol concentration results from alcohol consumed either before or while operating or being in actual physical control of the motorized watercraft.
    Kinda gives ole ocifer friendly a little leeway to pretty much do what ever the hell they want doesn't it? "To the slightest degree?" So what does that mean if you had a beer on yesterday they can give you an OUI/DUI?
    RD

Havasu_Dreamin
    Kinda gives ole ocifer friendly a little leeway to pretty much do what ever the hell they want doesn't it? "To the slightest degree?" So what does that mean if you had a beer on yesterday they can give you an OUI/DUI?
    RD
    I would hope it does not go that far, but it certainly does sound very subjective.....

Kilrtoy
    who would have known, more cops on a holiday weekend

RiverDave
    I would hope it does not go that far, but it certainly does sound very subjective.....
    To say the least.. I hope that's not the actual law, of course it wouldn't surprise me if it was.
    RD

Phat Matt
    Some more info...
    http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext...ehouse.doc.htm
    Looks like the revised law went into effect a few years ago.

Boatcop
    God that last little bit there..
    RD
    The law is, and always has been "Impaired to the Slightest Degree". Both for driving and operating a watercraft.
    However, the law presumes you are impaired at .08% AC.
    The law presumes you are NOT impaired below .05% AC (Except commercial drivers/boat operators, where the limit is .04% and Minors, under 21, where the limit is anything above .00%)
    If between .05% and .08% there is no presumption either way, but the judge will determine if the evidence presented indicates the person was impaired. The evidence can be results of FSTs, driving pattern, demeanor, appearance, etc.

RiverDave
    So "appearance" has something to do with it eh? Please see "chain e-mail" thread.
    Incidentally, since the Nordic is up for Sale.. How long do you figure it'll take before the cops in Parker catch me in the new lower profile aka "unknown" boat? I was thinking about putting a 007 on the side of it as a joke for ya.. LOL
    RD

RiverDave
    sounds like you are doing some early damage control for this weekend huh, dave ?? be sure to stay off our freakin docks too, and another thing, quit pissing on the side of your house, we're not on "septic" anymore :rollside: d-no
    I don't piss on the side of my house anymore.. I have an old beer bong that was from the 80's.. You know one of those ones where people would stand on the roofs of their houses kinda deal? I plumbed that over across the canal and into some guys Eliminator across the canal.
    RD

Boatcop
    So "appearance" has something to do with it eh? Please see "chain e-mail" thread.
    Incidentally, since the Nordic is up for Sale.. How long do you figure it'll take before the cops in Parker catch me in the new lower profile aka "unknown" boat? I was thinking about putting a 007 on the side of it as a joke for ya.. LOL
    RD
    I don't get it?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast