Thread: An old buddist monk from the river once said...

grog
    In order to know where you are going... you need to know where you've been. That said, I need some help from all you gurus in figuring where I am with a 1987 Mercruiser 454 Mag.
    It is my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the internal differences between the "regular" and Mag versions of the 454 are the Mag has a forged crank, forged pistons, stronger rods, larger heads and more aggressive cam.
    Does anyone know the cam specifications for the stock Mag motor? The Clymer manual references the cam as a hydralic cam with lobe lift intake of 0.269 - 0.273 and lobe lift exhaust of 0.280 - 0.284. How do these numbers translate to todays cam specs (as shown on www.cranecams.com (http://www.cranecams.com) site)?
    Any and all help is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    g

Maverick
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by grog:
    [B]In order to know where you are going...
    I am little help, except that in '87 the Mag 454 wasn't a MAG - no steel crank and no forged pistons.
    If late model cam specs help I can get you circa 95+ merc cam specs for the 454 motors.
    Mav

mister460
    Just multiply by the rocker ratio. .461 on the intake and .480 on exhaust. This sounds pretty much like what a stock type motor would have. Go bigger.

grog
    Ahhhhh.... enlightenment! Thanks for the help guys. Although I'm bummed the motor isn't as stout as I thought... I'll make due with what I have until it's time for a rebuild... heeheeehe - may be closer than I thought.
    Gregg