Thread: Canfield 310 vs AFR 305

ECeptor
    What are the pro's and con's of these two heads?
    Canfield 310 (http://www.canfieldheads.com/bbc_310.html) vs AFR 305 (http://www.flatlanderracing.com/afr-bbc03.html)
    Assume the folllowing:
    - used on 0.060" over 454 running 9.5:1 w/ pump gas
    - target of 550hp at 5,500rpm
    - both are have CNC's chambers
    - both come fully assembled
    Anyone have flow data on both that was taken on the same bench?
    What and where is the best pricing for a fully assembled set?
    Anyone have dyno data on either that they can supply with the engine details?

steelcomp
    At the c.i., rpm, and hp level you're targeting, I'd say either will give you more than you need, so I'd go with the less expensive of the two, and talk to CStraub about a cam. He may be able to help you with a set of Canfields, as well, though I'm not sure, and don't want to speak for him on that. You can see how well they worked on my build, so I don't think there will be any problem with them on yours. Even at 310cc's, they might be on the big side. The AFR's, at 305, aren't going to be any more friendly. 5cc in port volume isn't going to make any difference, here. The Canfields are real strong on the ex. side, which, IMO, is a good thing.
    Just looked at AFR's website...you'll never get the flow numbers they're advertising. They flow on a 4.600 bore. Your 4.31 bore is going to shroud the valves quite a bit. Canfield flows on a 4.500 bore, so keep that in mind, as well. You can look at the "canfield 310's" thread here in gearheads, where I posted my numbers.

Either would work but would not be the right choice for a 454. I would look at a set of aftermarket oval ports. The CID and the rpm you want to run do not warrant square ports. I would get a set of E-Brock ovals if you want an aluminum head.

ECeptor
    Either would work but would not be the right choice for a 454. I would look at a set of aftermarket oval ports. The CID and the rpm you want to run do not warrant square ports. I would get a set of E-Brock ovals if you want an aluminum head.
    Will the Edels (assuming you are talking Performer RPM) ovals support the 550hp @ 5,500rpm goal without an insanely radical cam (hydraulic flat tappet ~236/246°)?

steelcomp
    Will the Edels (assuming you are talking Performer RPM) ovals support the 550hp @ 5,500rpm goal without an insanely radical cam (hydraulic flat tappet ~236/246°)?
    I agree with Chris, and yes, they'll support the power easily. Sorry I didn't tell you that in the first place.
    Someone out there has a package deal (intake, carb, heads and cam) that, if I'm not mistaken, is exactly what you're looking for. You might want to look into that.
    236-246 isn't radical for a hyd. flat tappet. IMO, a hydraulic roller would be the ticket if you don't want to mess with it. NIce thing about the BB Chev...you have a LOT of options.

Why not just add inches to this combo and build a 496? Or are you looking at bolt on HP?

ECeptor
    Why not just add inches to this combo and build a 496? Or are you looking at bolt on HP?
    Looking to avoid buying a new crank. Call it a 550hp on a budget project. Also, I'm just in the planning stage...will probably be next winter before I start the project.
    Was looking at the flat tappet as a simpler, lower cost option for my Mark IV engine.

Jspeeddemon
    Go to Edelbrock's site and look at the exhasut side flow numbers for the ovals and for that matter the rectangular ports, they are weak on the exhaust side out of the box. I believe looking at this in the past they were 65% or so.

sammtron
    flow # on my edebrock heads #61559

ECeptor
    flow # on my edebrock heads #61559
    Do you know if those flows are for 28" of H2O on a 4.25" bore?