Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF is a Modified V

bigq
    Cheetah hull is said to be a modified V, but is that just another name for a tunnel hull or is there a difference? I know there is a difference between a tunnel and cat, so whats the deal with a mod v?

Phat_Kat
    This is a modified V. They're a tunnel bottom with a Vee design. They don't trap air quite as well so it takes a bit more to get them out of the water. You're next question is probably "will they beat a cat?" The answer is argueable. Technically no. However, if you get the air under a boat like this a put it against something like a mach 22 with the same power... the mod-v will match if not beat the mach. These results do vary and that's why I say it's argueable. This doesn't apply to all mod-v's but I know 2 guys. One has a mach 22 with a 300x and a guy with the same model of boat as pictured below(sleekcraft SST) with a 300x and the SST will beat the mach by about 5-10 feet. The next arguement will be that the props are different and the answer is no. They're just as fast as a cat but it's a hell of a lot harder to get them there. If you want a ride I'll definatly give ya one. They're one hell of a rush.

rude235
    a mod v is like a lavey craft sebring, a stoker, or a cheetah. it generaly looks like a v-bottom from above but has a tunnel underneath. hope this helps. eliminator used to make one a few years back as well.

Phat_Kat
    rude235:
    a mod v is like a lavey craft sebring, a stoker, or a cheetah. it generaly looks like a v-bottom from above but has a tunnel underneath. hope this helps. eliminator used to make one a few years back as well. you forgot sleekcraft and also baker

bigq
    ok so it is the top, the way it looks that makes it a mod v and is it different than a tunnel hull? From what I understand from speaking with stoker and Cheetah is that that type of hull turns like it is on rails, which tells me it is uite a bit different than a cat.What do you tell the insurance company a mod v or tunnel, cheetah said mod V.
    [ June 25, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: bigq ]

Phat_Kat
    bigq:
    ok so it is the top, the way it looks that makes it a mod v and is it different than a tunnel hull? From what I understand from speaking with stoker and Cheetah is that that type of hull turns like it is on rails, which tells me it is uite a bit different than a cat.What do you tell the insurance company a mod v or tunnel, cheetah said mod V. Are you looking to make a purchase? I'd highly recommend the sleekcraft SST. Talk to havasubarney. I'd also recommend putting some serious ponies on it so you can get the life. You want to talk to a mod-v nut just PM me.

bigq
    I can't deciede between a tunnel or a V.Insurance for a cat is out of the question, but if I can get a Mod V insured for a good price I would rather have that then the V. The only I think I would trust for speed is the Howard in a V bottom. Anyway I was all set on the cat till I started pricing the insurance. eek!

bigq
    BTW need something bigger than the SST.Like in the 23 to 25 range.
    thanks

rude235
    as soon as i saw the post of the pic i knew i'd catch some crap for not mentioning them i have heard the same thing about a mod v's turning ability. stokers used to be the boat to beat on the race circuit. as far as your insurance, DEFINITELY tell them it's a mod-v!! if you're looking in the 23+ range, the only one i can think of still in production is the cheetah. you could also look for an eliminator edge, it's a 23 ft mod-v. stoker used to make (maybe still does) a 26ft sst.

Phat_Kat
    rude235:
    as soon as i saw the post of the pic i knew i'd catch some crap for not mentioning them i have heard the same thing about a mod v's turning ability. stokers used to be the boat to beat on the race circuit. as far as your insurance, DEFINITELY tell them it's a mod-v!! if you're looking in the 23+ range, the only one i can think of still in production is the cheetah. you could also look for an eliminator edge, it's a 23 ft mod-v. stoker used to make (maybe still does) a 26ft sst. I've heard that they can prove almost impossible to get air under. But go mod-v none the less. They rule!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast