Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any die hard Tahiti fans?

DelawareDave
    When Hawaiian fired up I had just graduated high school in '74 and went to work there in the glass dept. Of course my dad went there too. When they folded up I went to Rogers and thats where I learned to rig, 1980.
    My dad got out of it at the same time, after the energy crunch.
    You two must have worked together back in the late 60's early 70's, his name was Dick Turner.
    So what could you tell me about the actual construction on a Hawaiian? Mine is a 1975 18'. I am interested in knowing if there is plywood around the bottom side edge of the deck around the bow. The deck on mine has a noticeable low area on the port side, between the bow and the dash. The stbd side of the deck is nice and straight from stem to stern. I plan on removing the deck over the winter to replace the wood under the deck at the stern and dash, as well as the transom, stringers, and floor. It also appears the bustle was cracked on the port side and repaired, but left low at the break. The radius across the top does not flow smoothly from one side to the other.

robk
    Oldrigger:
    I have a 19' Tahiti hull sitting at my shop -- looks identical to the one in the picture you posted, although it does not have that raised section on the deck (painted red in the picture) but otherwise is identical (and in need of interior and paint).
    Just how "sort of" rare are these hulls? I really like the way it looks, and I'm planning to do the works on it; paint, glass work, new interior, etc.

Oldrigger:
    I have a 19' Tahiti hull sitting at my shop -- looks identical to the one in the picture you posted, although it does not have that raised section on the deck (painted red in the picture) but otherwise is identical (and in need of interior and paint).
    Just how "sort of" rare are these hulls? I really like the way it looks, and I'm planning to do the works on it; paint, glass work, new interior, etc.
    Well, at one time they were a pretty popular model at Tahiti. Not that it matters one hoot, but it was long my dad's favorite, he loved the great ride and the wide beam.
    I know where one is in Big Bear, like your's, but it's just sitting on the guys lot beside his house going to shit. Uncovered, full of snow in the winter and pine needles in the summer.
    I have no idea how many were built, either style, yours and the one I like. More of your's by far. I was pretty young when these were rolling (floating) out a the shop, late 60's and very early 70's, until the tiger came out. They might have been built at the same time, the Tiger and this one, probably were, but the Tiger was extremley popular with buyers. Might have been the most popular until the southwind splash came along.
    So to answer your question, I guess it's kinda maybe a rare boat, but most built by any builder from that era are getting hard to find. Not much value in the ol' Tahiti though. Sentimental value to me maybe , but that's about it, unless of course you like that style of boat.
    Here's a shot of the one I like from the rear. You can see the raised section was carried onto the rear too. Somewhere in the back of my brain somethings telling me that originaly, there was a glass engine cover that matched that raised part too.
    how bout' some pictures of your boat?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-t/19toad3.jpg

robk
    Here she is.... The previous owner had this boat sitting uncovered for years. The interior and carpet were rotten, but thankfully the motor was on a stand in his garage. There's quite a bit of restoratoin work to be done here.

dizzyspots
    Just picked up a 16 foot Tahiti with a 115 Evinrude hull show sn 12602 but no other data...capacity, weght, persons or HP...no paperwork ..anyway to tell what year it is??

likwidsukr
    I
    ST Football Sucks.I like $hit that makes noise not abunch of over paid men patting each other on the ass..
    Jake
    Easy thats debatable

likwidsukr
    l
    I slowly went through it all, kept one roll-a-way full of tools for my son, who was only 11 at the time (now in college)
    How did that wood project (boat) your son was working on turn out?

likwidsukr
    Here she is.... The previous owner had this boat sitting uncovered for years. The interior and carpet were rotten, but thankfully the motor was on a stand in his garage. There's quite a bit of restoratoin work to be done here.
    That looks like a long Weiman/Rogers. Or Cutlas which was a splash.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ROJECT_003.jpg
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ROJECT_001.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234