Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the minimum requirement...

bohica
    A paddle is not a required item.
    Some other things they will check for in an Coast Guard safety inspection is
    Proper ventilation of the fuel system
    Backfire or Flame arrestor

HMF'er
    When I received the free courtesy inspection, they also checked to see if my blower (bilge ventilation fan - not the wife) worked.

beyondhelpin
    In Oklahoma a paddle is required equipment. If I remember right it was required in Cali when I lived in SD a few years back.

Rocket-J
    They require a cover on the battery or at least the battery terminals and a manual bailing device. A hand pump or bucket or plastic jug to bail water. They also ask about mufflers but did not do a noise check. Al

98 Vector 21
    Dont forget the boat....its needed in orderd to get the inspection!

Boatcop
    Flares (Visual Distress Signals) are not required on inland waters. Only on coastal waters and the Great Lakes.
    Required:
    USCG Approved wearable PFD of proper size for each person on board. readily accessible. (12 and under must wear)
    USCG Approved Type IV Throwable cushion or Ring Buoy. Immediately Available. (Not required on boats less than 16')
    Under 26' - 1 USCG Approved B1 Fire Extinguisher.(Portable required with fixed system) Over 26' (less than 40') 2 BI Fire Extinguishers or 1 B2 Fire Extinguisher. A fixed system in the engine compartment takes the place of 1 BI Fire Extinguisher. Readily accessible.
    Original current Registration on board
    Numbers properly displayed with current decal.
    Backfire Flame arrestor (inboards)
    Exhaust properly muffled
    Ventilation in engine and fuel compartments
    Ski Flag & Observer (If skiing)
    Sound Producing device (On Federal Waters)
    Pollution decal near helm (boats over 26')
    Designated Sober Driver
    Recommended:
    First Aid Kit
    Extra drinking water
    Paddle
    Anchor with chain and sufficient length of line. (7 times the depth of the water)
    Bucket or other manual means to bail out the boat
    Sunscreen
    Extra emergency rations (Power Bars, granola bars, etc)
    Plan for any imaginable emergency and pack accordingly

bohica
    In Oklahoma a paddle is required equipment. If I remember right it was required in Cali when I lived in SD a few years back.
    Paddle requirement is an urban myth. :rollside: While in some boats it might do some good to have one in case of a breakdown, I'd like to see someone try to paddle at 30+ foot boat anywhere haha.
    Here's a link to Oklahoma safety requirements, you won't find a paddle mentioned anywhere.
    OK (http://www.boatercertificate.com/Okl...t/01_Laws.aspx)

OutCole'd
    Pollution decal near helm (boats over 26')
    What is this?

Huckleberry
    Allan,
    I have a few Q's for ya on the requirements. My boat is CG documented. For the life of me I cannot find where/if the numbers are painted on the hull anywhere. The previous owner is a d***head and will not answer emails just asking him if they are on the hull or not. Is this a big deal? How about the beautiful pollution placard? Are cites really issued for not having that gem proudly displayed near the helm?

bohica
    Allan,
    I have a few Q's for ya on the requirements. My boat is CG documented. For the life of me I cannot find where/if the numbers are painted on the hull anywhere. The previous owner is a d***head and will not answer emails just asking him if they are on the hull or not. Is this a big deal? How about the beautiful pollution placard? Are cites really issued for not having that gem proudly displayed near the helm?
    Boats that are documented will have no numbers painted on the hull. You should have the documetation number affixed somwhere on the interior of the boat, along with the name and hailing port painted on the back of the boat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast