Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicone???

67weimann
    What is the best way to remove the silicone off of the transom with out damaging the paint.

Knucklehead
    I used a new razor blade and it worked out excellent, came right off didnt even gouge the paint..

67weimann
    Well, the boat was painted twice from what I can tell and the exhaust tips and the transom housing weren't removed to paint it. Just new silicone applied each time so it is kinda a mess of silicone I don't think just a razor will do it...
    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...r/000_0259.jpg
    I removed them to do some repairs on the inside and clean them up. Now I just want to get this pos back together and on the water.

GUGS102
    Go to pep boys and get gum remover. It works awesome!! Spray and let sit for a short while and peel off with a razor and papertowel.
    Gugs

garret
    use gas

HBjet
    use gas
    Yup!

Cas
    I use WD40, turns most silicones into a nice goo

Red Horse
    You will be surprised how well the razor works once you get a little of it up.

502 JET
    I use Napratha in my parts washer and it eats silicone and it wont harm paint.Also Safety Clean parts cleaner does the same.

Unchained
    A fine wire brush on an air grinder works real well for taking it off, just watch it close and be careful when you get down to the gel. The gelcoat is real hard and the wire brush won't really eat into it easily.
    When putting it on the main thing I found out is, use the smallest possible bead and know exactly where it wants to be. I've been real successful in sealing copper head gaskets this way.
    I've had used jet boats where the previous owner had some real interesting silicone sculptures on the transom adapter and it still leaked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast