Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying toilet 540 by Mesa Racing Engines

MESA BALANCING
    You had to line hone the Dart?Fiat beleive it or not when we build any type of engine weather it's a new piece or not the machine work is always the same we alighn hone deck and finish hone anything we build reason being the only way you can control your clearances piston to head piston to wall and ring end gaps and also important to our new head gaskets the finish of the deck surface is by machining every aspect of the block and heads luckly we have all the equipment in house and it's simple to get it done I feel this is the reason why we have the quality control that we offer if you look at the finish for example on our deck surfaces the finish is finer then 35 rms which is what you need for the new cometic gaskets out there the older equipment is not capable of those fine finishes and many blocks that are production finished by the big manufacturers don't have the attention to detail that it takes to build a real HP engine it's lots of work but it's the only way we'll do it . Sincerely Laz

MESA BALANCING
    How would this be on a Family V-drive Daycruiser? Are they more slated for racing?
    HobbyHobby I agree with gofast if you want something for the more user friendly croud it need's to be on gas with a carb this is intended for a race only set up but we've been building and maintaining jet drive engines for years that make the same power in lower comp set ups just larger ci such as our MB850 na which is a pump gas piece single carb set up or efi also. Sincerely Laz Mesa

Laz not only does it appear you build a fine engine but you got the run on sentence thing nailed as well.
    Nice looking stuff there.

Fiat beleive it or not when we build any type of engine weather it's a new piece or not the machine work is always the same we alighn hone deck and finish hone anything we build reason being the only way you can control your clearances piston to head piston to wall and ring end gaps and also important to our new head gaskets the finish of the deck surface is by machining every aspect of the block and heads luckly we have all the equipment in house and it's simple to get it done I feel this is the reason why we have the quality control that we offer if you look at the finish for example on our deck surfaces the finish is finer then 35 rms which is what you need for the new cometic gaskets out there the older equipment is not capable of those fine finishes and many blocks that are production finished by the big manufacturers don't have the attention to detail that it takes to build a real HP engine it's lots of work but it's the only way we'll do it . Sincerely Laz
    Did cometic give you a deck surface spec? or better yet-- through your R&D. thanks ....Steve

MESA BALANCING
    Did cometic give you a deck surface spec? or better yet-- through your R&D. thanks ....SteveMike thanks for the kind words and Steeve the surface finish they ask for is around 35-45 rms finish we worked with Felpro some years back on developing the steel gasket they have now like the Cometic basically the same principle gasket and we found the surface finish had to be 25-35 rms the only problem was the older machines are not capable of that finish thats when I updated my surfacer to a single cbn insert and was able to get the right finish even some of the two cbn insert machines are not capable of the finish needed we've run the steel gaskets on our turbo and blower engines since they were not available anywhere and I can tell you they are the best there is better then copper or anything else I cant remember the last time I oringed a block they are so good .

Mike thanks for the kind words and Steeve the surface finish they ask for is around 35-45 rms finish we worked with Felpro some years back on developing the steel gasket they have now like the Cometic basically the same principle gasket and we found the surface finish had to be 25-35 rms the only problem was the older machines are not capable of that finish thats when I updated my surfacer to a single cbn insert and was able to get the right finish even some of the two cbn insert machines are not capable of the finish needed we've run the steel gaskets on our turbo and blower engines since they were not available anywhere and I can tell you they are the best there is better then copper or anything else I cant remember the last time I oringed a block they are so good .
    Thanks for your reply. Building an alky motor,10-71 25% od. Didn't really want to "O" ring. Hoping to go cometic but haven't talk to them yet. I hear SCE came out with a comparable gasket, but I don't think it's layered. looking into it.Thanks again.....Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12