Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left battery on charger all night and day

stashtrey
    I forgot I put one of my boat batteries on the charger in my garage last night. It's been charging all last night and all day today.
    Is this going to be a problem?

Cheap Thrills
    as long as it didnt boil it dry you should be ok. did you notice any foul odors?
    was the battery hot?
    C.T. :wink:

stashtrey
    I haven't even been home yet!!!!
    I hope my house didn't burn down.

Tom Brown
    I hope my house didn't burn down.
    If it did, it will because your wife didn't butt her smoke in the ashtray after sleeping with the neighbor. Leaving a battery on the charger should not pose any fire hazard.
    What type/size of charger and what kind of battery?

RiverDave
    If it did, it will because your wife didn't butt her smoke in the ashtray after sleeping with the neighbor. Leaving a battery on the charger should not pose any fire hazard.
    What type/size of charger and what kind of battery?
    Actually that's not 100% true.. Optima's and a few other "performance" batteries have been known to randomly explode while charging. A neighbor of mine in the keys burnt up a pretty nice sandrail and did some damage to his garage becuase they left a battery charging unattended for a little while.
    RD

HMF'er
    Get a Battery Tender or another charger that turns off by itself, then you don't have to worry about it.

stashtrey
    I don't know what kind of charger it is. It's probably middle of the road. The battery is just a standard car battery.
    hopefully the charger can sense the load and just shut itself off????
    Shit... 45 more minutes until I can leave work.
    I'm freaking out.

Tom Brown
    Optima's and a few other "performance" batteries have been known to randomly explode while charging.
    I suppose if there was a bad contact close to the battery, and it was being heavily overcharged, there would be a very real possibility of explosion. Thanks for setting me straight.
    I thought the Optima has those weird caps that are a catalyst to turn hydrogen and oxygen back into water, helping the battery retain water and almost eliminating the possibility of explosion.
    Wouldn't a non-AGM battery have a much higher likelihood of explosion?

Tom Brown
    I don't know what kind of charger it is. It's probably middle of the road. The battery is just a standard car battery.
    hopefully the charger can sense the load and just shut itself off????
    Unless it is a 3 state charger, it will not shut off. It will, however, go into 'float charge' mode. That's not great for the battery over long periods but it's fine for a day. It would be a problem if you left it on for weeks at a time and you'd have to add water to the battery but for a day, forget about it.
    There is a chance that your house won't blow up but just to be safe, I recommend you have the fire department disconnect the charger for you.
    ... I'm just joking about the fire department.

Tom Brown
    Get a Battery Tender or another charger that turns off by itself, then you don't have to worry about it.

I use a Shumacher charger from Walmart that turns itself off when it's done. I throw the charger on after every weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast