Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making my runner go

Towndrunk
    I would like some engine advice. I am running a 454 with 2 660's. The motor is a 73-90 4 bolt main block with 118 cc 256/114 port open oval heads. It has 26 gears and turns a 16 prop at 5500-5800 before floating the hyd valves. Without doing a major rebuild what would be a good place to start? Thanks for any advice you have.
    TD

GofastRacer
    Ron, what are you trying to do blow it up??, you need to tear it down and see what you have and see what condition it's in before you put the power to it, and I'll lay odds that in it's present condition it's not capable of handling the power and rpm's to pull those gears for the boat to handle properly!... And yes as always, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$, unfortunately!..

coolchange
    Well if you're sure you float the valves at 5500, That would be a good place to start. And like GFR said, Thats a lot of gear.

Towndrunk
    Ron, what are you trying to do blow it up??, you need to tear it down and see what you have and see what condition it's in before you put the power to it, and I'll lay odds that in it's present condition it's not capable of handling the power and rpm's to pull those gears for the boat to handle properly!... And yes as always, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$, unfortunately!..
    I plan on it Art. Just as soon as I get the hydro out of that spot. First of the week or so. Next week for sure.

GofastRacer
    I plan on it Art. Just as soon as I get the hydro out of that spot. First of the week or so. Next week for sure.
    Right on!..

sangerbanger
    check your valves once you figure that out change the gears thats way too much for your setup

AzMandella
    art's right,way too much gear.First thing I would do is tear the motor down and rering and bearing it(If all is OK).Then check the heads and valves and put good valves in it if they are not stainless.If needed do a valve job and then change the cam to a solid lifter with appropriate springs.Then change gears.The engine seems to be pretty mild from your info mabey 400+ HP.Not enough for those gears.With 16 pitch prop I'd start with 15's.

GofastRacer
    Actually that motor is something that would come out of a dually!..

Towndrunk
    Why harping on ther gears? Damn, it takes off great and seems to have decent top end for what it is. The compression is 150 across the board so I'd guess the rings to be okay. Floating at 5500 so go from there. Just what does that mean?

ColeTR2
    Put some 15's in it and a solid lifter cam and stand on it tell it goes BOOM! In the mean time go get a block and start building a new motor from the ground up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast