Thread: Gelcoat repair

bighead
    I have a rather minor gel repair to make.Boat is a 87 with what was nearly blemish free original gel. I was wiping it down yesterday after a late afternoon run and noticed what looked like a bb chip in the gunnel area and when I used my finger to check it a area about half the size of a dime crumbled, needless to say I was shocked. Shoulda stopped picking right there but could not stop until I removed all the gel from the flawed area. It turns out there was a air bubble between the gel and glass about 2 inches long and maybe half wide at widest point. It is right on the edge of a stepped area and color is off white. I am going to attempt the repair myself and am looking for tips and advice on what product to get etc. I figure is either I fix it and it is acceptable or I have to have a pro fix my mess. Sorry no pics. Thanks for your help here. Bighead.

BrendellaJet
    Find the gel that matches. The place where you buy it will sell you the catalyst and PVA. Clean the area to be sprayed. Mix gel up in the ratios the supplier recommends. Tape off the area, leaving a small border of the original exposed, brush on. wait 10 minutes or so, spray PVA over it and wait a day or so before you wash it off. Block it out with some 400, 800 then maybe 1200. Polish it and you are done. Sounds like a lot of work, its easy.