Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to cut hull for exhaust tips

disco_charger
    Hey kids, I got a 3.5" exhaust tip, and I want to go to 4" (already bought the tips). What's the best way to cut the new hole?

miller19j
    I used a router for mine. I made a template that was the size of the hole I wanted to open up to and got a straight cut bit with a bearing on the end. Clamped the template in place on the inside of the transom and adjusted the router so the bearing rode on the template and cut away.

Schiada76
    disco_charger:
    Hey kids, I got a 3.5" exhaust tip, and I want to go to 4" (already bought the tips). What's the best way to cut the new hole? Cut a piece of plywood same size as existing hole make sure it's a tight fit. Tap in place and use a hole saw. Worked for me. Give it a slight bevel and they tap in easy.
    We all like a tight fit don't we?

beached 1
    Go to K&H metals in Riverside. They sell any size cutter with arbor to make the hole you need that will fit your drill. Just need to figure out where you want to make the hole and set the arbor in the center.

flat broke
    discocharger/rogers,
    Assuming you went with a 4" tip, we have what you need. Call Tyson and maybe he can arrange to get it to you.
    Talk to you later,
    Chris

Thunderbutt
    disco_charger:
    Hey kids, I got a 3.5" exhaust tip, and I want to go to 4" (already bought the tips). What's the best way to cut the new hole? What is your reason for going to 4 inch? Do you have a big motor with a lot of horse power? with headers?

Schiada76
    beached 1:
    Go to K&H metals in Riverside. They sell any size cutter with arbor to make the hole you need that will fit your drill. Just need to figure out where you want to make the hole and set the arbor in the center. The holes are there, I think he needs a plug to catch the arbor, or if he usees a router he needs to make a template that he can clamp to the transom.

RiverToysJas
    disco_charger:
    Hey kids, I got a 3.5" exhaust tip, and I want to go to 4" (already bought the tips). What's the best way to cut the new hole?
    RTJas

Froggystyle
    I like the idea of a template and using it for a guide. What I do on retrofits is draw the circle, and cut the fiberglass with a pneumatic recip saw I have with a metal blade. Cooks though it like a samurai sword. Very clean too.

future boater
    Froggystyle:
    I like the idea of a template and using it for a guide. What I do on retrofits is draw the circle, and cut the fiberglass with a pneumatic recip saw I have with a metal blade. Cooks though it like a samurai sword. Very clean too. what about a hole saw? and should you tape both sides of what your cutting to avoid splitting as with wood?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast