Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter # for 460? Short filter? Weight oil?

stashtrey
    I'm at work and can't remember the part # for the shorter oil filter for my boat.
    Also.... what oil do you guys run in a stock 460 Ford? I thought I read some people saying 10w 50????
    I'm gonna change my oil after work.

stashtrey
    Ah. Nevermind. I did a little search and found all my answers.
    Thanks!

bergen
    i dont know much, but i thought it was allways ph8a for 460's

Fram PH-16. 20-40 Valvoline Racing Oil if it's close to dead stock. 20-50 or straight 50 wt if it has increased clearance. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Moneypitt
    PH 43 is the short version of the PH 8A. I'm not sure if the PH 16 has the check flaps for horizonal mounting............MP

Konabud
    You can also use a Wix 51068.

Ken F
    Don't use a Fram. The filter elements have been known to colapse shutting off your oil flow. Do a google search on it.
    Use the wix, or the better alternative is to get an oil filter adaptor from Ford Motor sports which turns your filter fore and aft. then you can run a big filter.
    Contact Lem Evans @ 270-684-6268. He can ship you one at a good price.
    Ken F

Moneypitt
    Don't use a Fram. The filter elements have been known to colapse shutting off your oil flow. Do a google search on it.
    Ken F
    You know, there have been countless threads about not using Fram filters, and how others, like wix are better etc etc etc. I just want to say that in over 40 years of performance motorsports I have never had a filter, any filter, fail and cause any engine damage. I use Fram if I find them on sale, or just about any other brand on the street grocery getter. We have used Fram on the PS boat for about 6 tough racing seasons over the last 15 years without any filter related problems. IMO, most failures blamed on an oil filter, any brand, are wishful thinking, and those problems would've occured due to mechanical problems with a perfectly good filter..........MP

Ken F
    As I stated in my post- google it
    http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html
    Fram Extra Guard PH8A
    This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap and easily leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you have a noisy valve train at startup, this filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.
    The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin, cheap looking backplate, and is currently stamped with a "2Y". There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.

I've never had a problem with a Fram Filter. Or a Wix, or Autolite or any other for that matter. 'Normal' FE Ford pressure for me is 120+ pounds at startup and 80+ at idle. 460's start and idle with less than that(70 on start and 30 at idle), so I use the PH-16 Filter (where space is an issue) and have never had a problem. At least not since 1967 or so. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast