Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Part 2: Who Knows the most?:

Flying Tiger
    I was walking out to my new -06 Toyota pre runner when a neighbor driving by in his new Pre Runner slowed down to chat.
    We compaired trucks, and Marony stickers.
    I have "limited slip" option written on my sticker, and in his near identical Tacoma had "locking differential" written on his, with a button on the dashboard to activate his,, no button on my dash.
    The dealer had no clue to the difference.
    I suspect my limited slip works in turns,, where locking rear end may be restricted to straight line temp use, perhaps making the truck drive like a solid axel go cart.
    The trucks are virtually identical.
    Whats the advantage of locking over limited slip,, or vice versa??
    Why the hell would you want one style over the other??
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...2k_036-med.jpg

djunkie
    Locking the differential will give you equal power displacement to each wheel. Limtied slip will allow one wheel to slip in turns and such. In a truck like that the limited slip should work just fine. I had a limited slip differential in my old 1/2 ton chevy 4x4 and worked awesome. The only nice thing I like about the locking diff. is it may give you better traction in a serious offroad situation. Just don't forget to unlock it on the street.

HOSS
    limited slip on a 4 wheeler means you in affect have a 2 wheel drive. Useless in my book. Lock the rear or buy a car. :crossx:

Run_em_Hard
    Limited slip is actually better for a daily driver situation. The full locking differential is quite dangerous if you are on a slick snow covered road. Even though the full lock is great for off road situations

Moneypitt
    I was under the impression that "limited slip" meant that it will slip, although limited, until one wheel is spining loose, like when you're stuck in the sand. And "locked" meant it is locked, but has "clutches" that allow it to disengage to go around corners. There must be 10 types, and 20 different names for all the different car brands. And Hoss is right, lock it up, or buy a car.......Oh, then there are the all wheel drive, limited slip, cars......MP

Sleek-Jet
    limited slip on a 4 wheeler means you in affect have a 2 wheel drive. Useless in my book. Lock the rear or buy a car. :crossx:
    Aren't Toyota Pre-Runners 2 wheel drive???
    Nice thing about the locker is that you can disengage it when you don't need or want it (like when the road is slick or you have to pull a "u" turn or such). Limited slip = posi-trac in old car guy parlance.
    In the 4 wheel circles... lockers are the shit, limited slips are for street trucks.

In reality a limited slip is useless cuz what you really want is full traction and not bits and pieces of traction when you get in a sticky situation. As far as the tacoma is concerned(4 door anyways) it is a really well balanced trunck and unless you really plan on beatin on it the trunk is really good about planting all four tires and useing them . So anyways a locker is the way to go if you really need it . 2wd needs all the help they can get. I think toyotas only recommends the locker to be used in low gears. It will stop ingageing like my budies did and he had 4wd so it wasnt a huge loss . the aftermarket is full of great selectable (limited slip disengaged/full locker engaged)differentials if its that big a deal.

djunkie
    Limited slip IMO work better than a lot of you think. When I had one in my old truck I never had a slippage issue. If the clutches are in good shape it works awesome. Of course the locker is the way to go when offroading but I would not be worried about too much traction loss with the limited slip.

canuck1
    Limited slip IMO work better than a lot of you think. When I had one in my old truck I never had a slippage issue. If the clutches are in good shape it works awesome. Of course the locker is the way to go when offroading but I would not be worried about too much traction loss with the limited slip.
    Untill you have one wheel in the air or on ice then LS is useless

from the looks of it , it's a 2wd and probably doesnt see too much serious off road action and the limited slip is gonna suit him best. Detroit makes a great limited slip which is also a full locker when it's engaged electroniclly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast