Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1500 vs. 2500

Dave C
    I went from 1500 4x4 (5.3) to a 2500 HD 4x4 (diesel)... I'm not a big fan of the diesel but it makes a big difference in towing. Plus the 3/4 ton & HD handles the weight better.
    The 5.3 was definitely great from towing smaller lighter trailers. Mine was great up until 5000 lbs.

Waldo
    Do yourself a favor, buy the 2500, you wont regret it, plus like everyone else said you will eventually work your way up to the larger truck so why not start there. Are you looking for a new or used?
    Either one. Just depends on the budget!

Hal
    Am I correct that there is a 4 door 1500 with a short bed? If so do those come with the 5.3 and 6.0 options as well? If I keep the boat at the river and almost never tow back home would that be a realistic option?
    The 1500 HD is a 4 door short bed and you can get it with 6.0. It can do almost as much as the 2500 but at a better price. Talk to Jay of course.

tcook33
    Plus, you can convert your diesel motor into a veggie oil burner if your are a hardcore environmentalist.

riverroyal
    If I were to tow a 30' trailer (not 5th wheel) would I need airbags?
    the desert last weekend,a guy passed me going uphill on the freeway,he was in a 1500 GM something,with a 25ft plus long trailer,he had plenty of power.But he couldnt keep it in his lane,the road went to the left,he went straight.His trailer was inches from my driver mirror.I couldnt move over because of a gaurdrail,I couldnt slam the brakes,Im towing a 37ft fifth wheel.Ive never been so close to having my family killed in a car accident.I was sick for hours after it happened,my wife wanted me to pull over.Stupid thing is I passed the idiot up the hill a few miles later.He was lacking the correct truck so he hauled ass on the flats to make up for it on the hills.Dont even think of towing a 30 ft trailer with a half ton.If you want to kill yourself fine,dont endanger others.Thats really not the truck for your needs..just my .02$

Waldo
    the desert last weekend,a guy passed me going uphill on the freeway,he was in a 1500 GM something,with a 25ft plus long trailer,he had plenty of power.But he couldnt keep it in his lane,the road went to the left,he went straight.His trailer was inches from my driver mirror.I couldnt move over because of a gaurdrail,I couldnt slam the brakes,Im towing a 37ft fifth wheel.Ive never been so close to having my family killed in a car accident.I was sick for hours after it happened,my wife wanted me to pull over.Stupid thing is I passed the idiot up the hill a few miles later.He was lacking the correct truck so he hauled ass on the flats to make up for it on the hills.Dont even think of towing a 30 ft trailer with a half ton.If you want to kill yourself fine,dont endanger others.Thats really not the truck for your needs..just my .02$
    I know the 3/4 ton is better...it's now just a matter of gas vs diesel. Thanks for the info...sorry you shiat your drawers because of someone elese's stupidity.

riverroyal
    I know the 3/4 ton is better...it's now just a matter of gas vs diesel. Thanks for the info...sorry you shiat your drawers because of someone elese's stupidity.
    but chevy does have a great big gas motor,and gas is about .40$ a gallon less,so thats a tough call.I love my deisel,but paying for the fuel to drive around town kinda gets old.Its worth it while towing,but thats once a month

Waldo
    but chevy does have a great big gas motor,and gas is about .40$ a gallon less,so thats a tough call.I love my deisel,but paying for the fuel to drive around town kinda gets old.Its worth it while towing,but thats once a month
    I was thinking the same thing. Once or twice a month towing might be worth it. I know towing up hills in a diesel is better though.

hoolign
    But you don't get the distance out of gas as you do with diesel

BarryMac
    I was thinking the same thing. Once or twice a month towing might be worth it. I know towing up hills in a diesel is better though.
    I have a used 2500HD for sale, it has the big gas motor in it, I will make you one heckuva deal. Whichever way you decide, definitely get 3/4 ton, you wont regret it, I tow the same boat that you do, not the biggest on the lake but I will never go back to a 1/2 ton for towing, the 3/4 is built for it...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast