Thread: What octane of gas burns hotter?

djunkie
    Just having a little discussion with someone and this came up.
    Suppose you have a pretty much stock engine. Low compression and no supercharger or turbo. What octane gas would cause higher EGT's? 87 or 91?

Havasu Hangin'
    Higher octane = slower burn

Higher octane = slower burn
    This is true ... somewhat ...
    The higher the octane, the higher the resistance to pre-ignite. You will get a more precise flash point. The lower the flash point, the quicker explosion.
    I am more than happy to speak with you about this, but not here on the boards, it's easier if you call me at the shop ... I am a race fuel distributor, and I would be more than happy to give you printed information on all of the major brands / octanes that are available to us ... from 87 to 130 ...
    Brian Busby
    (949) 581-3330

Just having a little discussion with someone and this came up.
    Suppose you have a pretty much stock engine. Low compression and no supercharger or turbo. What octane gas would cause higher EGT's? 87 or 91?
    to answer your questions more directly ... the 87 would most likely have the higher EGT's ... from my experiences ...

djunkie
    to answer your questions more directly ... the 87 would most likely have the higher EGT's ... from my experiences ...
    I was on another forum and the subject came up. From my experiences with diferent stock and high performance engines I noticed lower EGT's with higher octane fuel also. Apparently this other guy is some chemical engineer and swore to me that higher octane burns hotter. I was trying to explain to him that what happens when you run low octane in a high performance environment. I've seen higher EGT's with 91 then I did with race gas in the same exact motor. Without any change of the blower pullies of course. :rollside: