Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat / Lean Question

vdrivenman
    a question for you motorheads!
    if an aspirated carbed engine is set up to run fat in sacremento cali, what will that set up be like in southeast Texas?
    will it remain the same ,get fatter, or lean out ??
    i have NO idea and would not want to take a chance on ruining any parts by cranking or running a motor.
    thanks for the responses !

Towndrunk
    if an aspirated carbed engine is set up to run fat in sacremento cali, what will that set up be like in southeast Texas?
    i have NO idea and would not want to take a chance on ruining any parts by cranking or running a motor.
    Are you talking about that outboard you bought?? Anyway, if it's fat up high(thin air) it'll be fatter down lower.

502 JET
    At a higher elevation there is less air there for the engine would run fatter with increased altitude.Go down in elevation and there is more air the engine will run leaner.How much this will change I dont know.The east coast is flat and we dont have to worry about elevation changes.

GofastRacer
    Depends on the elevation between the two places, high elevation=leaner, low elevation=richer!..

502 JET
    Depends on the elevation between the two places, high elevation=leaner, low elevation=richer!..
    I must be confused?
    Higher elevation less air it seems to me that you would run richer.

WannabeRacing
    You are not confused, Art just spoke so quickly, that he got it mixed up. You will get fatter at higher altitude, and leaner at lower adjusted altitude.

Towndrunk
    Lets try this again. When you go high you run leaner jets. Right? Hell I dont know I run fuel injection and the dam ecu does it for me. :cry:
    When you are under a truck and tightening header bolts do you turn the wrench the same way you do when you are leaning over the fender doing it? :220v:

GofastRacer
    You guys smokin bad panty hose or what????.. Reread the post, high elevation=you need to lean out, low elevation you=need to fatten up!..

Moneypitt
    You guys smokin bad panty hose or what????.. Reread the post, high elevation=you need to lean out, low elevation you=need to fatten up!..
    As always Art says it plain and simple, however, you also have to consider the "corrected" altitude. Elevation is only a minor factor when figuring jets, be it injected or carbed. The volumetric air pressure is what changes in elevation differences, but, high/low pressure fronts moving through an area can have tremendous effects on that pressure, hense the term "corrected' altitude. You also have to factor in temperature and humidity. In order to accurately calculate your mixture you must have a baseline to work from. Without this data, it's a crap shoot until you "try" it. If you establish a base line at a given air density, then you can tune to the next air density you travel to, or the changes in density that occur in the same place as highs/lows move through. This applies in your own backyard, as well as where you may travel to........MP

vdrivenman
    the motor is a 468bbc,14 /1 motor, tr w dominators.
    motor is currently set up rich,fat in sac,cali. this motor has a soft tune on it,timing slightly down,as is valve lash. i just do not want to HURT this motor.it will be for lake play not racing.
    it is probably coming to the gulf coast of east Texas at 7 ft above sea level,hot 80-90degrees,% humidity usually about same as temp.
    so i guess i'd better by a pyrometer(spelling)& install it to give ma an idea.
    cause i'm confused!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast