Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Water Separator. Easy install?

stashtrey
    I currently have an AC Delco canister style fuel filter mounted to the back of my boat. I have two saddle tanks.
    My boat is having fuel issues. It idles great, rev's great etc.... but when I get up to around 3500-4000 rpm's it bogs out. I can barely get on plane.
    I recently replaced the carb, installed Pertronix, new plugs, oil etc. The engine is running great.
    I searched some threads on here and found most people that have this issue end up installing a fuel/water separator and their problems usually go away.
    My question is this... will the fuel water separator replace my existing fuel filter and act as my new fuel filter? Also.... how involved is the installation? Is it just a matter of connecting boat gas tanks to the device and then running the main fuel line to the pump?

502 JET
    If you have water in your fuel tanks a filter/water separator will help you.If there is no water dont expect your boat to run better with the addition of the separator.I will never run a boat without one.It is an easy install as you have described.I do not run an additional fuel filter and have no issues.I draw off of both tanks at the same time and they lower equally.

stashtrey
    I'm thinking that I either have some debri clogging one of my old fuel lines from the tanks to the filter. I also removed the old canister filter and it had a ton of crap in the bottom of it..... I think that might have been causing problems.
    My boat sits outside all year. This past year we had a TON of rain/moisture during the winter and I was a dummy and wrapped my boat with two tarps and a cover. My brace didn't work and the entire inside of my boat was like a hot tub. Everything was soaking wet. I imagine I had some condensation in my tanks.
    So... I can just buy the fuel/water separator kit and swap that for my old Delco canister fuel filter?

stashtrey
    PS- I'm going to replace both fuel lines from my tanks to the new water separator.
    Can I clear my tanks by blowing air into the fuel inlet? If there was some kind of debri clogging a line..... how the hell would I get it out of my fuel tank?

IMPATIENT 1
    If You Have Aluminum Tanks And You Think There Clogging,take Em Out And To A Radiator Shop And Have Em Cleaned.they Have Vats Big Enough And The Rite Chems For Aluminum.
    I Run A Wix Gasoline Fuel Seperator,its The Best Upgrade I've Ever Done!!the Mount And Base Are All In One And The Seperator Has A Drain Cock On The Bottom For Releasing Water. I've Never Had A Water Prob,since!!!!if Ya Need A Part#,pm Me And I'll Email Ya A Pic Of My Set-up.it Costs 40.00 For The Whole Thing!and Looks Nice Too Boot.

502 JET
    The fuel water separators have two inlets and two outlets.Should be an easy swap.Just get the kit with the 3/8 npt ports.
    To clear the lines blow back into the tanks from the fuel outlets.Connect an electric pump up to each tank one at time and pump some fuel out into a clear container and look for debris or water bubble in the bottom after settling.If you see alot of junk or water pump it out before connecting the new separator.

rerfert
    Change the fuel lines and run an inline fuel filter put some fuel in the tank and let some fuel run thru the lines checking the flow before it reaches the fuel pump.
    Manual fuel pump??
    It might be going bad and not keeping up with the fuel comsumption??

stashtrey
    How difficult is it to replace a mechanical fuel pump?
    I'm going to get that Wix Fuel Filter. Napa should carry that... right?
    I'll pm you for a pic/part number. Thanks, IMPATIENT1
    Also... .I only have one fuel line going from the filter to my pump. I can just use the two inlet's for my tanks and one outlet to the pump.... leaving one outlet remaing to just not be used.... correct?

502 JET
    Remove the fuel pump.If the new one is hard to install turn the motor some to get off the cam lobe and the pump will go rite back on.
    You just plug the extra hole.

stashtrey
    Right on! Thanks for all the info, guys. I really appreciate it. Hopefully this is the last thing I have to do to this boat this season. :220v:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast