Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Msd any competition?????????

a catered life
    i really want to put a new ingition system on my 454 in the next few weeks but the expensive price of the msd in scaring me off a little....is there any other company that delivers close to the the same performance as the msd without the bite in the pocket? or is there a place i can order the msd system cheaper

i really want to put a new ingition system on my 454 in the next few weeks but the expensive price of the msd in scaring me off a little....is there any other company that delivers close to the the same performance as the msd without the bite in the pocket? or is there a place i can order the msd system cheaper
    i would shop around for a magneto!...i have seen a couple on: www.racingjunk.com IMO they are better than a msd & there self-contained (only need the battery to start) i have 1 & love it
    fastrat

Unchained
    Look through a Summit or a Jegs catalog.
    There are a lot of good units out now that are less than an MSD.
    I would go for a digital ignition box if I had to get a new one now.

bordsmnj
    i understand that the failier rate of msd 6m-2 boxes is like 40% or worse.

a catered life
    40% thats unacceptable thanks

HP350SC
    Check out Crane HI-6M here....http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?s...s&lvl=4&prt=65
    MSD 6M-2 to Crane comparison...scroll down a little
    http://www.cranecams.com/?show=article&id=12

That number sounds like one out of a hat. I'd like to see it substantiated. Do you actually think "any" race team would run MSD products if the failure rate was 40% or worse?
    MSD rep tells me it's under 5% and many of those are due to bad grounds or loose hot feeds based on what they find in the boxes when they do autopsies. One thing when running a MSD 6 box, you better have good solid conductive connections or it will kill the box.
    The MSD ready to run Marine distributor is also an excellent choice for non-killer type motors turning around 5500 rpm or less. It costs much less than the 6 box, billet dist combo. It has no seperate box.
    BTW Rex sells at the same price as Summit or Jegs on MSD.

YeLLowBoaT
    BTW Rex sells at the same price as Summit or Jegs on MSD.
    is there a "Price cap" on MSD... every one has them for the same price. +/- a few cents.. $xxx.99, $xxx.98, $xxx.97... Or is it market based? Even when they have "super deals" and won't show you the price till you add it to your cart, they are always the same price. Just one of those things I have always wondered.

is there a "Price cap" on MSD... every one has them for the same price. +/- a few cents.. $xxx.99, $xxx.98, $xxx.97... Or is it market based? Even when they have "super deals" and won't show you the price till you add it to your cart, they are always the same price. Just one of those things I have always wondered.
    MSD is MAP (minimum advertised priced) and they enforce it strictly. Any account advertising it for less than MAP no longer sells MSD. It's that simple. MAP pricing is a good thing for the MSD distributors. Before MAP we made around $2 (seriously) on a MSD6A box competing with Jegs/Summit because they could buy truckloads and sit on them after price increases, get dating terms to pay way out, etc. Many popular part numbers were similar to the above example. MSD was losing lots of distributor support over it. Reduced distribution through a hand full of giant discounters isn't good for any manufacturer. MAP started the beginning of 05 with MSD.
    Anyone who thinks distributors are getting rich because the product costs a lot is simply misinformed. The max MAP is about 25 points and many popular items are less than that. It's ok but certainly not a big profit center like some envision I think.

bordsmnj
    i like the looks of that Crane unit. how much does one of those go for? are they a direct swap out for the 6m-2? 6m-2's just don't do it for me any way you slice it .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast