Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skater Vs Spectre Vs DCB Vs Charley

TCHB
    There sure seems to be a big price diff in the two boats in the 30 range with the same power. Why is this???
    Spectre seem alot cheaper???

Charley
    There sure seems to be a big price diff in the two boats in the 30 range with the same power. Why is this???
    Spectre seem alot cheaper???
    Are you comparing a standard deck or flat deck skater to a spectre? Spectre does not offer a flat deck to my knowledge.
    I'll assume traditional deck
    Consider that there are over 100 choices combined of used Spectre or Skater boats on OSO that are 1-4 years old at 50-80 cents on the dollar I don't know why someone would buy one new unless they want the new 32 spectre or need a very specific drive package.... I will tell you right now... if Jeff Herman will really sell his 36 for what he told me the other night it's quite a deal. Good luck

TCHB
    Are both boats about the same in the way they drive and ride with the same engine package?

mbrown2
    Supply and Demand......Customers will pay for a certain amount for the Skater name....customers will only pay a certain amount for the Spectre name...
    I think if you went an optioned out a new 32 from both makers Flat Deck from Skater and New 32 from Spectre, there would be a quite a bit of diff with the Skater being higher.......and price diff is there because Skater can and will charge for it

Havasu Cig
    I might be a little biased, but I think the build quality on a Skater is better. You look at the inside of my boat and it is more impressive than the outside. Vacuum bagged epoxy resins, all seems are reinforced with kevlar etc... If you also look at the edges on my boat they are razor sharp.
    I talked to Dave from DCB about this at the boat show and asked him why you don't see other boats with edges like that and his response was that it was hard to do. He said that Peter at Skater definitely is one of the best in the business when it comes build quality.
    If you look at the performance numbers you will see a difference as well. My 28 will run in the 120 range with stock 300x's. That is a good number for a 28' boat. The new 30 flat deck has run in the mid 150 range with N/A 750's. What will another brand boat in the same size range run with the same power?
    Spectre builds a very nice boat, but I think you get more with a Skater. My.02.

INSman
    You definitely get more with the Skater including the price tag. The Spectre is a great boat for the price and for those of us that don't have a "Trust Fund" or open checkbook to pull from.
    The new 32' Spectre is supposed to be a great boat that is newly designed and can go offshore very easily. Maybe not quite the performance and sex appeal as the Skater, but certainly a nice affordable alternative.

FASTERDAMITT
    No Skaters is the SuperBoat Stock outboard class World Championships! Hmmm. Wonder why?http://www.superboat.com/ranking.cfm
    1. Doug Wright/AMT
    2. Doug Wright/AMT
    3. Spectra
    4. Deep V cats

Havasu Cig
    No Skaters is the SuperBoat Stock outboard class World Championships! Hmmm. Wonder why?http://www.superboat.com/ranking.cfm
    1. Doug Wright/AMT
    2. Doug Wright/AMT
    3. Spectra
    4. Deep V cats
    From what I hear Peter is working on a new boat to take back the O/B cat class. Skater has been focusing on the bigger classes but there was a time when they dominated the O/B class as well. As a matter of fact the only 28 I have seen being campained lately is an older boat and I believe the racers are relatively new to the sport. The person to ask would be Ryan Beckley who has race time in both AMT's and Skaters. He speaks very highly of the Skater even though I believe he currently races an AMT.
    I will put my pleasure version against any other cat in the same size range with O/B power. The AMT is a very nice boat but it won't touch my Skater when it comes to speed.
    Like I said above Spectre builds a nice boat but I think you get more with Skater.

Jordy
    I might know where there is a 30' Spectre with twin 300X's available if you're in the market.

Havasu Cig
    Here is a quote from Ryan from an OSO thread, he is way more qualified than me to compare these boats...
    "A Motion is a great design overall and will run with the other similar designs, Spectre and AMT. But you can't compare these to a 28' Skater it is kinda like comparing............um........I dunno , but they are different OK? Yes the 28 IS faster, ALOT FASTER in some cases, but for the most part all are good boats."
    S-111 "YOUR NAME HERE" for the right price
    seeking financial backing for 2006 race season
    for more info contact me kineticanimation@gmail.com

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast